× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FSM726 crashing

thermoman
Aspirant

FSM726 crashing

Hi,

we're using two FSM726 connected via a central GSM7224 switch.

Both FSM726 switches are crashing from time to time (not at the same time).

When this happens no packets are being forwarded anymore, all port LEDs with link up change from blinking to constant-on and the only thing that helps is resetting or a power cycle.

This is a screenshot of the machine attached to the serial console:

The FSM726 is a v2H2 one.

System Description:   FSM726 Management Switch
Software Version: 1.2.2_0829
System OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.4526.1.10

Hardware Version: 04
Firmware Version: 1.0.12
Software Version: 1.2.2_0829

I just saw the new Firmware 1.2.3_1003 released in december but the changelog didn't say this issue has been addressed.

Could some netgear support staff forward this to the developers and drop me a line?

Marcel.
Message 1 of 10
fordem
Mentor

Re: FSM726 crashing

You need to use the web portal and open a service request - this is a user forum and there is no direct linkage between it and support or development.
Message 2 of 10
thermoman
Aspirant

Will do.

Marcel.
Message 3 of 10
thermoman
Aspirant

Did upgrade the firmware to 1.2.3_1003 on both FSM726 and am now waiting for the switches to crash again ... or hopefully not 🙂

Will let you know if there is anything new here.
Message 4 of 10
exes
Aspirant

I had seen the same thing with one of my FSM726's. I tried upgrading and reinstalling, etc... now I have a whole new problem. Any solutions on this?
Message 5 of 10
thermoman
Aspirant

Since updating firmware to 1.2.3_1003 the switches did not crash anymore. What's the problem now with your switch?
Message 6 of 10
thermoman
Aspirant

Sorry to revive this old thread...

But the crashes aren't resolved.

The switch crashed even with newest firmware occasionally perhaps once a month.

Since the last few weeks the switch crashes constantly every 2 or 3 days but all switch ports which where UP at the time of the crash do not experience problems.

But PCs on switch ports that aren't online 24/7 can't connect to the network anymore once the crash happened.

I have to warm boot/reset (not to factory defaults) the switch to get network connectivity for the PC just powered up.

Contacted Netgear and it seems they are willing to replace the unit once i found the receipt ... happy searching 😞
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you may need to call support to get replaced the unit if unit is under warranty which purchased after 2007/march is unlimited warranty
Message 8 of 10
thermoman
Aspirant

I opened a case with Netgear and now RMA'ed the broken device.

Replacement device will be FSM726v3 (alias FSM726-300), the successor of the FSM726v2.

I hope the new device does not have this issue 🙂

@jmizoguchi

The FSM726v2 was bought back in february of 2007 which makes the limited warranty expire in feburary this year. Luckily we checked whether the switch has still warranty. if it wouldn't have we would have bought a new switch from another vendor.

Let's see if this works out.

thermoman.
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

nothing is perfect.....

at least you can RMA.. 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos