× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feature request : M4300-8X8F - Allow force fans on (quiet mode or rack mode)

maindriver
Star

Feature request : M4300-8X8F - Allow force fans on (quiet mode or rack mode)

In the 12.0.7.15 firmware, the 8X8F switch now has the fans in stopped mode after the switch boots.  This was put in for people who use the switch on their desks or for AV use etc.

We have these as top of rack switches.  Currently we have 6 of them for testing, we're planning to buy another 10 or so.

I've been told that the fans will kick in at 72 degrees C.  I would prefer it if there was an option to have the fans running all of the time.  Maybe a 'quiet desk' mode and a 'loud rack' mode.

Currently with the fans in the Stopped state, the switches show an orange LED.  This will be picked up on visual comms rooms checks so will pose an issue for us.

It's great that you're catering for the quiet desk mode, but please make this an optional thing.

Thanks 🙂

(edit, is there a better place to put a feature request?)

Model: XSM4316S|M4300-8X8F - Stackable Managed Switch with 16x10G including 8x10GBASE-T and 8xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Feature request : M4300-8X8F - Allow force fans on (quiet mode or rack mode)

Hi maindriver

We hear you, thanks for the feedback and request.

The new firmware is shutting down fans when ambiant temperature is under 25C. The fans will kick off again when ambient temperature will be higher than 25C.

The software states OFF when the LED light tells otherwise with orange color. We are working on changing that color to a normal state and this will be seen in subsequent firmware updates.

Now, I agree with you. Many customers asked for silent operation but in your case, it would be better to have control and select the mode you prefer.

We will add this to our enhancements list and we will update the Community about our progress. This is not an easy one, but I agree this should be done this way, to ensure all use cases are covered.

This only applies to the great M4300-8X8F, all other M4300 models have their fans as usual.

Thank you again,
Regards,
Message 2 of 6
maindriver
Star

Any update on this @LaurentMa  ?

🙂

Message 3 of 6
Moduleus
Aspirant

Hi,

Do you add this functionnality in firmware 12.0.9.4 ?

Release notes don't tell anything about this.

Best regards

Message 4 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Not yet, not this one. It's coming! We have the feature ready, it's going to regression testing as I speak. This should be complete by first week of March and then we'll publish a new M4300 maintenance release (new firmware) with that feature explained in released notes. I'll come back to announce it when the new firmware is out.

Best regards,

Message 5 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @maindriver, Hi @Moduleus , Hi Community

The latest M4300 firmware release 12.0.11.8 is now available on the M4300 support page:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300.aspx#download

And it comes with the M4300-8X8F (XSM4316S) new command for forcing fan operation, or requesting quiet (fanless) operation when ambient temperature can sustain it.

To enable fans for perpetual fan operation:

User:admin
Password:************
(M4300-8X8F) >en

(M4300-8X8F) #config

(M4300-8X8F) (Config)#no environment set fan quiet

(M4300-8X8F) (Config)#exit

(M4300-8X8F) #save

This operation may take a few minutes.
Management interfaces will not be available during this time.
Are you sure you want to save? (y/n) y

Config file 'startup-config' created successfully .

Configuration Saved!

(M4300-8X8F) #

To disable fans for fanless operation when ambient temperature is under 25C:

User:admin
Password:************
(M4300-8X8F) >en

(M4300-8X8F) #config

(M4300-8X8F) (Config)#environment set fan quiet

(M4300-8X8F) (Config)#exit

(M4300-8X8F) #save

This operation may take a few minutes.
Management interfaces will not be available during this time.
Are you sure you want to save? (y/n) y

Config file 'startup-config' created successfully .

Configuration Saved!

(M4300-8X8F) #

Please let us know how it goes, many thanks!

Regards,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements