× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update

lambertsonm
Guide

Firmware Update

Hi everyone, I just want to make sure I do this correctly.  I currently have firmware version 11.0.0.12 and want to upgrade to version 11.0.0.31.  As I go through the directions it says to go to the Maintenance->Upgrade path, which does not exist on mine.  I am guessing I should use Maintenance->Download for that part.  But my question arises once I select that.  The directions say to use Software for the file type, which guess what?  Is not available either.  There are 11 different file types but none say software or firmware.  I am guessing that I use either Archive or Text, but want to make sure which I should use to download the update.  To further confuse the matter, the directions show they are using version 12.0.2.9.  So I guessing they are the wrong directions.  The release notes file is m5300v11.0.0.31_Release_Notes.html.

Model: M5300-28GF3 (GSM7328FSv2)|ProSafe 24F+4 Layer3 Gigabit Stackable managed switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Firmware Update

Hi,

Afraid, I must agree the guidelines, and especially the screenshots in the newer release notes (like M5300 Firmware Version 11.0.0.28) are unclear and misleading - including v12 references in the screenshots.

You can continue using the way the firmware image (nickname: Archive) was uploaded on earlier firmware versions with the "old" Web UI design - head to Maintenance -> Download -> HTTP File Download (one of my few complaints on the Netgear switches - complete academic view of upload vs. download, very unique in the industry, the UI designer was certainly a Doctor Professor for Physics) and select Archive and the image storage location (image 1 or image 2). Cross check with the legacy UI update process, e.g. M5300 Firmware Version 10.0.0.53 as a reference.

@LaurentMa - food for thought, thank you!

Regards,

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hi,

Afraid, I must agree the guidelines, and especially the screenshots in the newer release notes (like M5300 Firmware Version 11.0.0.28) are unclear and misleading - including v12 references in the screenshots.

You can continue using the way the firmware image (nickname: Archive) was uploaded on earlier firmware versions with the "old" Web UI design - head to Maintenance -> Download -> HTTP File Download (one of my few complaints on the Netgear switches - complete academic view of upload vs. download, very unique in the industry, the UI designer was certainly a Doctor Professor for Physics) and select Archive and the image storage location (image 1 or image 2). Cross check with the legacy UI update process, e.g. M5300 Firmware Version 10.0.0.53 as a reference.

@LaurentMa - food for thought, thank you!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 6
lambertsonm
Guide

Kurt:

Yes, thank you.  I did find it back on verison 11.0.0.23 where it shows Archive.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@lambertsonm wrote:

Yes, thank you.  I did find it back on verison 11.0.0.23 where it shows Archive.

Great, thak you! As we're not yet on 11.0.0.28 due to some mixed stacks - can you confirm that the .28 does introduce the "Update" menu as shown? 

PS. Have just reported that the subtitle on the linked .28 firmware page is wrong, claiming M5300 Firmware Version 11.0.0.23 Release Notes 8-)

Message 4 of 6
lambertsonm
Guide

I will let you know after I do the upgrade.

Message 5 of 6
lambertsonm
Guide

Just so everyone knows.  Even after the upgrade to firmware version 11.0.0.31 the instructions are still wrong in the same areas I mentioned in the original question post.  So the directions on version 11.0.0.28 and 11.0.0.31 are not correct.  Hope this post helps otheres.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements