× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware won't update GSM7328Sv2

hhertz
Aspirant

Firmware won't update GSM7328Sv2

I have been trying to upgrade the firmware on a Prosafe GSM7328Sv2 from 8.0.3.25 to 10.0.0.53 and it won't work.  I've tried HTTP to a computer attached to the switch with the .stk file and it times out.  I tried TFTP and the screen flashed and gave me the "Archive file download through TFTP is failed" message.  I tried to use a USB thumb drive and it gives me the "USB drive is not ready" message.  I want to do this through HTTP.  Does anyone know the exact step by step way to do this via HTTP?  I also tried the next update after 8.0.3.25 but that didn't work either.

Model: GSM7328Sv2|ProSafe 24 ports managed L3 gigabit stackable switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Firmware won't update GSM7328Sv2

I think the USB keys have to be FAT16/32 formatted to be recognized by these switches, but the manuals unfortunately don't give much information.

I'd recommend going via CLI (Telnet, SSH or if you must: through serial console) and try updating the firmware there.

There you can see more messages why the stk wasn't flashed or what has failed.

So far downloading from a TFTP server was what often worked the best for me. One caveat was sometimes to not put the stk file in a subfolder on the TFTP server which most Netgear switches didn't like.

If you want to look for the exact command reference I'd things in the 80.x CLI reference since that's the version your swich is currently running with (there are subtle differences in the CLI syntax after 9.x and 10.x, I think yours should be the one here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/7300_CLI.pdf)

• After login: enable
  • show bootvar -> This way you know which partition is currently active (and omit overwriting your current working one so you usually don't risk much)
  • copy tftp://<ip-or-hostname-of-tftp-server>/<nameof>.stk <image1|image2>
  • show bootvar should show you an updated partition, your current one should stay untouched
  • boot system <image1|image2>
  • show bootvar -> Now for the next boot you should see that the new image is enabled.
  • If you are OK with previous results: reload - if you are on serial console you can see if error message come by during reboot.

Hope that helps you a bit

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I think the USB keys have to be FAT16/32 formatted to be recognized by these switches, but the manuals unfortunately don't give much information.

I'd recommend going via CLI (Telnet, SSH or if you must: through serial console) and try updating the firmware there.

There you can see more messages why the stk wasn't flashed or what has failed.

So far downloading from a TFTP server was what often worked the best for me. One caveat was sometimes to not put the stk file in a subfolder on the TFTP server which most Netgear switches didn't like.

If you want to look for the exact command reference I'd things in the 80.x CLI reference since that's the version your swich is currently running with (there are subtle differences in the CLI syntax after 9.x and 10.x, I think yours should be the one here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/7300_CLI.pdf)

• After login: enable
  • show bootvar -> This way you know which partition is currently active (and omit overwriting your current working one so you usually don't risk much)
  • copy tftp://<ip-or-hostname-of-tftp-server>/<nameof>.stk <image1|image2>
  • show bootvar should show you an updated partition, your current one should stay untouched
  • boot system <image1|image2>
  • show bootvar -> Now for the next boot you should see that the new image is enabled.
  • If you are OK with previous results: reload - if you are on serial console you can see if error message come by during reboot.

Hope that helps you a bit

Message 2 of 3
hhertz
Aspirant

Using TFTP worked finally.  I had tried a version that was no good but tfptd64 worked.  I downloaded it and used the steps you gave me to run the update.  Thanks for the assist.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements