× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS305EP and 802.1X access control

lodesmets
Aspirant

GS305EP and 802.1X access control

Hello,

I'm trying to configure 802.1X access control on a GS305EP switch.
According to this page it should be available.  But the configuration page looks completely different than the screenshots in the explanation page.

I tried looking for it, but can't seem to find the 802.1X access control settings.

Firmware version V1.0.0.10.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS305EP and 802.1X access control

@lodesmets wrote:

If it isn't available for the Plus Switches GS3xxEP/EPP, it is no problem, I can use a different switch. But I do not trust the list of compatible switches.

The "Applies to" is more a reference at time of the KB entry creation than a complete list of switch models supporting 802.1x.

@lodesmets wrote:

So is there a correct list of 802.1X compatible switches?

Can't find any list or more comprehensive overview.

All "Plus" switches should be left out of scope, because there is no 802.1x implemented as shown.

For consulting exact features supported, I suggest to review the complete product description  Briefly scrolling over shows that 802.1x availability does start on small switches like the GS108Tv3, GS110TPv3, and the GS110TPP 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet
Smart Managed Pro Switch, some are PoE+ equipped, some come  with SFP ports, many or all come with the optional Cloud Management.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This KB reference to the Plus switches "E" models for 802.1x access control in the  must be wrong (or fully new to me).

Message 2 of 6
ErwinL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello lodesmets,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

Can you share us where did you see that it says GS305EP supports 802.1x? Because when checking the data sheet I could not find statements that it supports 802.1x. 

Have a lovely day,
Logan
Netgear Team

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Dear Logan,

Here is the reference - wrong in my opinion:

https://kb.netgear.com/24753/How-do-I-configure-802-1X-based-authentication-on-a-smart-switch?articl...

The mistake is in the reference to the Plus Switches GS3xxEP/EPP:

Plus Switch 6 GS3xxEPp.PNG

Message 4 of 6
lodesmets
Aspirant

Yes, indeed. I saw it here 

It says that the article is applicable to the Plus Switches GS3xxEP/EPP.

If it isn't available for the Plus Switches GS3xxEP/EPP, it is no problem, I can use a different switch. But I do not trust the list of compatible switches.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@lodesmets wrote:

The "Applies to" is more a reference at time of the KB entry creation than a complete list of switch models supporting 802.1x.

@lodesmets wrote:

Can't find any list or more comprehensive overview.

All "Plus" switches should be left out of scope, because there is no 802.1x implemented as shown.

For consulting exact features supported, I suggest to review the complete product description  Briefly scrolling over shows that 802.1x availability does start on small switches like the GS108Tv3, GS110TPv3, and the GS110TPP 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet
Smart Managed Pro Switch, some are PoE+ equipped, some come  with SFP ports, many or all come with the optional Cloud Management.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements