× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308E Not Discovered by Switch Discovery Tool

jwoehr
Follower

GS308E Not Discovered by Switch Discovery Tool

GS308E Not Discovered by Switch Discovery Tool ...

Wasted time on useless Insight app. Switch is behind a firewall.

Wasting time listing to same stupid messages over and over again on phone to customer non-support. Still waiting. Most annoying music ever, they clearly want me to hang up the phone. I have a support case open. If this is "priority access" I'd hate to see what normal access is like. "Join our vibrant community at community.netgear,com".

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard "A support technician will answer your call soon" while waiting on this call on my open case, I'd have doubled my money on this purchase.

ANYWAY ...  The GS308E connected through to the firewalls but couldn't reach internet. Switch Discovery Tool cannot find the address.  Then I clicked the (?) gadget on Netgear Switch Discovery Tool and suddenly was miraculously connected to Netgear website.

Unless this goofy device is rigged not to connect until you visit the Netgear website, I suspect that I was waiting for switch to time out failing to get a DHCP address, as the switch is not showing up among DHCP leases.

How do I find the address of this turkey?

Magically I am connected now, but will it work tomorrow? Why can't the switch discovery tool find the address of the device? (I'm guessing it failed to get an address from DHCP. Why?)

I should return this thing to Amazon.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308E Not Discovered by Switch Discovery Tool

@jwoehr wrote:

Wasted time on useless Insight app. Switch is behind a firewall..

Both the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT) as well as the Insight app depend on a transparent L2 network between the computer operating the NSDT resp. the Insight App. in case the Plus switch does not receive an IP config from the DHCP server, it will fall-back to the default 192.168.0.239. 

This is a just a simple Plus switch, and has no Insight Cloud Management features. This is why it can't be discovered using the cloud capabilities we have on the Insight managed devices.

Nowhere in the NETGEAR 5-Port and 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus SOHO Switch Model GS305E and GS308E In... it's stated that the switch can be hidden behind a firewall (from the workstation or mobile app view) and remaining discoverable.

@jwoehr wrote:

The GS308E connected through to the firewalls but couldn't reach internet. Switch Discovery Tool cannot find the address.  Then I clicked the (?) gadget on Netgear Switch Discovery Tool and suddenly was miraculously connected to Netgear website.

Nope. The discovery is a pure LAN local L2 process, it does not require the Plus switch to reach the Internet or whatever. 

@jwoehr wrote:

Unless this goofy device is rigged not to connect until you visit the Netgear website, I suspect that I was waiting for switch to time out failing to get a DHCP address, as the switch is not showing up among DHCP leases.

There is no such feature is requiring any outbound connection.  In case there is no network connection to your LAN DHCP server, these devices can fallback to the default IP - in case this is outside of your usual LAN IP subnet, it's obvious it can't be reached beyond the pure L2 discovery.

@jwoehr wrote:

Magically I am connected now, but will it work tomorrow? Why can't the switch discovery tool find the address of the device? (I'm guessing it failed to get an address from DHCP. Why?)

About the only reason it won't get a valid IP config from your LAN DHCP server is not reachable because if there was no connection or the DHCP was not responding.

Note: This is a Plus switch, in no aspect it's making a Managed Switch. So a moderator will have to move your post to the Plus And Smart Switches Forum Discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and ... 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308E Not Discovered by Switch Discovery Tool

@jwoehr wrote:

Wasted time on useless Insight app. Switch is behind a firewall..

Both the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT) as well as the Insight app depend on a transparent L2 network between the computer operating the NSDT resp. the Insight App. in case the Plus switch does not receive an IP config from the DHCP server, it will fall-back to the default 192.168.0.239. 

This is a just a simple Plus switch, and has no Insight Cloud Management features. This is why it can't be discovered using the cloud capabilities we have on the Insight managed devices.

Nowhere in the NETGEAR 5-Port and 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus SOHO Switch Model GS305E and GS308E In... it's stated that the switch can be hidden behind a firewall (from the workstation or mobile app view) and remaining discoverable.

@jwoehr wrote:

The GS308E connected through to the firewalls but couldn't reach internet. Switch Discovery Tool cannot find the address.  Then I clicked the (?) gadget on Netgear Switch Discovery Tool and suddenly was miraculously connected to Netgear website.

Nope. The discovery is a pure LAN local L2 process, it does not require the Plus switch to reach the Internet or whatever. 

@jwoehr wrote:

There is no such feature is requiring any outbound connection.  In case there is no network connection to your LAN DHCP server, these devices can fallback to the default IP - in case this is outside of your usual LAN IP subnet, it's obvious it can't be reached beyond the pure L2 discovery.

@jwoehr wrote:

About the only reason it won't get a valid IP config from your LAN DHCP server is not reachable because if there was no connection or the DHCP was not responding.

Note: This is a Plus switch, in no aspect it's making a Managed Switch. So a moderator will have to move your post to the Plus And Smart Switches Forum Discuss Smart Switches (T) and Plus Switches (E), including Local and ... 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements