× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324TP wake-on-lan problem

MCEComputers
Apprentice

GS324TP wake-on-lan problem

I have a GS324TP switch with a number of devices attached.

When the GS324TP is first powered up I can wake up suspended/sleeping PCs attached to the GS324TP by sending a wake-on-lan magic packet from any device on my network.

After the GS324TP has been running for a short time, the wake-on-lan packet does not seem to make it through GS324TP to any of the devices attached to it. Oddly, if I send a wake-on-lan packet from a PC attached to the GS324TP to any device attached to a different switch on the same network, the receiving device does wake up as expected.

If I reboot the switch, wake-on-lan starts to work normally again, but only for a short time.

I have a ReadyNAS Pro6 set up to pull rsync backups from several PCs each night after sending the wake-on-lan packet to each PC.The backup jobs have been failing on PCs attached to the GS324TP because the PCs fail to wake up from suspend. If I wake the PCs attached to the GS324TP manually (power switch, keyboard, mouse, etc.) and then start the backup from the ReadyNAS Pro6, the backups complete as expected.

The GS324TP has firmware 1.0.0.43.

The ReadyNAS Pro6 has OS 6.10.8.

One PC has Windows 10. This is on a different switch and wakes up and backs up just fine.

The rest of the PCs have Ubuntu 22.04. Two are attached to the GS324TP and backups fail each night, two are attached to other switches on the network and backup normally.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MCEComputers
Apprentice

Re: GS324TP wake-on-lan problem

Okay, I believe I have finally figured this out. Pretty simple really.

First problem was the 'Green' ethernet auto power down mode. When a workstation os was suspended the switch would power down the port it was attached to. I disabled the auto power down mode to fix that problem.

The second problem appears to be using LACP for a bonded interface to workstations with 2 ethernet ports. My research indicates that WOL through LACP tends to be hit or miss. I switched my workstations with bonded interfaces to balance-alb (which also requires no switch support). WOL has been working for these workstations since making this change.

I found a couple of on-line posts discussing WOL through LACP. This one has a good explanation using a Zyxel switch and a Synology NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
MCEComputers
Apprentice

A bit more information.

There is another Ubuntu 22.04 workstation PC attached to the GS324TP. This workstation is set to never suspend since it is being used as a media server. The ReadyNAS Pro6 pulls rsync backups from this workstation every night with no difficulty since it does not have to be awakened.

If I prevent the other two Ubuntu PCs attached to the switch from going into suspend, they two will get backed up to the ReadyNAS Pro6 without failure.

Message 2 of 3
MCEComputers
Apprentice

Okay, I believe I have finally figured this out. Pretty simple really.

First problem was the 'Green' ethernet auto power down mode. When a workstation os was suspended the switch would power down the port it was attached to. I disabled the auto power down mode to fix that problem.

The second problem appears to be using LACP for a bonded interface to workstations with 2 ethernet ports. My research indicates that WOL through LACP tends to be hit or miss. I switched my workstations with bonded interfaces to balance-alb (which also requires no switch support). WOL has been working for these workstations since making this change.

I found a couple of on-line posts discussing WOL through LACP. This one has a good explanation using a Zyxel switch and a Synology NAS.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements