× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS716T repeatedly switches one particular port from enable to disable.

Geoffrey_Owens
Follower

GS716T repeatedly switches one particular port from enable to disable.

I have two problems:

1. GS716T repeatedly switches one particular port from enable to disable. I have saved the configuration. What are the most likely areas to investigate.

2. My email is geoff@gwent.wales and the Netgear system initially does not allow me to log in because this is a fairly new config.

Happy to receive emails on the above.

Best wishes to all,

Geoff

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS716T repeatedly switches one particular port from enable to disable.

Dear Geoff,

@Geoffrey_Owens wrote:

I have two problems:.

...or probably some more.

A good start would be to consult the 16-Port and 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports 48-Port Gigabit Ether... Installation Guide - there you learn on how to set-up and access this GS716Tv3 (version wild guess) using a Web browser for simplicity, that the default password is password.

@Geoffrey_Owens wrote:

1. GS716T repeatedly switches one particular port from enable to disable. I have saved the configuration. What are the most likely areas to investigate.

...best guess (in absence of any insight) is that the switch does disable a port where it has detected some loop in the network.

@Geoffrey_Owens wrote:

2. My email is ...snip...  and the Netgear system initially does not allow me to log in because this is a fairly new config.

Unclear why you refer to your email address here. The switch is a local managed device, with  (default) implicit user named admin, and does come by default with the password named password. 

Can't protect you from some basic learning curve on how to manage this switch, and on how to check the status.

One option to start is to install the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool (NSDT) which is available for Linux, Apple Mac, and Windows. I expect the utility is able to discover the switch and let us know about the LAN IP address for your switch management by using a Web browser.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements