× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724T: How to filter outgoing IPv6 multicast packet to a port?

jfriesne
Novice

GS724T: How to filter outgoing IPv6 multicast packet to a port?

Hi all,

I've got a GS724T switch, with the latest firmware (5.0.3.5) installed.

The devices on this switch generate a lot of IPv6 multicast traffic (for distributed database synchronization and the like). This is fine, but a problem arises when I connect a WiFi access point to the switch. When I do that, all of the IPv6 multicast packets get transmitted over the WiFi radio, even though none of the WiFi client computers need or want those packets. The result is severely degraded WiFi performance, making the WiFi access point nearly unusable.

My question is: Is there some way for me to tell the switch not to route IPv6 multicast packets to the port that the WiFi access point is connected to? (All the WiFi clients are IPv4, so either filtering out all IPv6 packets or filtering out all multicast packets would be sufficient).

Thanks,
Jeremy
Message 1 of 4
jfriesne
Novice

Re: GS724T: How to filter outgoing IPv6 multicast packet to a port?

It seems that I might be able to do this by setting up a MAC ACL rule to deny all IPv6 packets with destination MAC address 33:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, and binding it to the port that my WiFi access point is attached to. However, the "Mac Binding Configuration" page (under Security / ACL in the Web GUI) only allows "Inbound" as a direction, and I think I would need to be able to filter outbound packets (that are on their way to the WiFi AP) not inbound ones.

Am I missing something here, or does the GSM724T simply not support filtering of outgoing packets to a port, and therefore I am out of luck with this switch?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Message 2 of 4
jfriesne
Novice

FWIW, a co-worker was finally able to figure out how to do this, by using the "Storm Control" feature to disable incoming multicast packets on a port, and putting both that port and a second port onto their own separate VLAN. Then the filtered port gets connected to another port on the switch via, and the second port gets connected to the WiFi access point, and presto, no multicast packets go out onto the WiFi.
Message 3 of 4
RSchwein
Aspirant

Wow, interesting workaround. Thanks for posting.

Bob
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements