× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724T - Version number and firmware upgrade

Spudly
Aspirant

GS724T - Version number and firmware upgrade

Hello,

I have a Netgear (duh) GS724T smart switch.  I've had it for several/many years and never really had a need to manage it.  Now, I do.  I am able to change the IP so I can make it accessible on my network and I have to 192.168.9.9.  My issue is that the documentation on the website for "Multiple Port Mirroring" does not match what I see.  I'm guessing it is because I have the original firmware.  As I try to get the update firmware I see there are several versions of my switch (GS724T).  I am pressuming I have version 1 as I see a V2, V3,V4 but it doesn't specifically say V1.  

From my Switch Status: 

Product NameGS724T
Firmware VersionV1.0.3_30
Protocol Version2.001.002
DHCPDisable
IP Address192.168.9.9
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
Default Gateway192.168.9.1
MAC Address00-18-4d-d2-cb-60

Do I use the latest firmware V1.2.3 ? which is found here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS724Tv1.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download 

Thanks!

Glenn

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Spudly, 

This is actually a very good question and other users should see this. Yes, there are firmware versions that require you to factory default the switch especially if there are major changes done. Now, you can save a backup of the configuration of the switch and then reload it back. But since it is a major FW upgrade there is a chance that it might not accept a configuration from an older version. Just to make sure, I suggest getting a screenshot of the pages that you have a configuration change. 

The updates are essential in a way that they fix bugs from older versions and add new features to the switch. For me, updates are optional unless you are experiencing a bug that needs to be fixed or you are chasing an update that adds more functionality to the switch. If you like the way the device works now and are okay with the features, I'd rather not take the risk. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Spudly, 

Welcome to the community! 

Please PM me the serial number of the unit so that we can identify the correct version. Do not update the firmware to the latest version yet. If the FW is really old, you'll have to do it incrementally. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 7
Spudly
Aspirant

Sent you a PM.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Spudly, 

I have checked the serial number that you sent through PM. It appears that your unit is a version 2. You may download the firmware for this unit here. You are about 3 firmwares behind so I suggest to do the update incrementally. 🙂 

Thanks,  

Message 4 of 7
Spudly
Aspirant

Hello JonRo,

I was going to PM you this but thought I'd make it public in case it is relevant to others.

I downloaded the three newer versions of firmware in anticipation of incrimentally updating.  However when I started the first one, the documentation indicates that upon updating the settings would be reset to their defaults.  I have some elements configured for port mirroring, etc. and decided (at the time) it wasn't worth it to go through the update and re-applying the settings considering everything is working fine as is.

So I ask, are these firmware updates essential?  Is there any significant risk of keeping the stock firmware?  Currently the switch works and does what I need it to do, so unless otherwise advised I tend to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' in this case.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Glenn

Message 5 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Spudly, 

This is actually a very good question and other users should see this. Yes, there are firmware versions that require you to factory default the switch especially if there are major changes done. Now, you can save a backup of the configuration of the switch and then reload it back. But since it is a major FW upgrade there is a chance that it might not accept a configuration from an older version. Just to make sure, I suggest getting a screenshot of the pages that you have a configuration change. 

The updates are essential in a way that they fix bugs from older versions and add new features to the switch. For me, updates are optional unless you are experiencing a bug that needs to be fixed or you are chasing an update that adds more functionality to the switch. If you like the way the device works now and are okay with the features, I'd rather not take the risk. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 7
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Spudly, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements