× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS724Tv4 laptop limited to 1 port via MAC address needs to be accessible on additional port.

LDS-TechSupport
Aspirant

GS724Tv4 laptop limited to 1 port via MAC address needs to be accessible on additional port.

After previous help from the forum I was able to restrict certain hardware to specific ports on the switch via MAC address lockdown , restricting 1 address to 1 port.I now need to allow a laptop to be used in it's current port and an additional port.

When I plug the laptop into another port ( previously unused ) the switch will not "learn" the mac address on that port. If I plug a new laptop onto that port, the switch does learn the MAC address.

Is there some routine or extra setting I need to check to enable the existing "learned" and locked down MAC address to be assigned, additionally, on another port.

Thanks in advance.

LDS Tech

Message 1 of 2
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: GS724Tv4 laptop limited to 1 port via MAC address needs to be accessible on additional port.

Hi LDS-TechSupport,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

Port Security function only support one MAC binding to one port, and cannot binding to two ports at the same time.

In your scenario, I suggest Port Authentication: 802.1X authenticate(MAB) function is comply with your requirement. It's support User name/MAC based authentication by Radius. 

For the detailed information about Port Authentication, please refer to the Link. (Page192, Port Authentication)

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ

NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements