× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS752TS SSH connection

Ahiro
Aspirant

GS752TS SSH connection

Hi everybody!

I got a GS752TS switch and I'd like to manage it remotely using SSH.

But I can't find any information about SSH connexion.

I'm using Putty and it can't connect. I've also looked to the switch configuration : Maintenance => Troubleshooting but I can't find Remote diagnostics option.

Is there a way to manage this switch remotely and if yes, how?!

Thanks for your reply!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ahiro

Welcome to the community!

You cannot manage a Smart Managed Switch using SSH nor command line. Instead, a Smart Managed Switch is managed used Web interface (GUI) through HTTP.

Command line (CLI) and Telnet/SSH are one of the differences between Smart Managed switches and Fully Managed switches.

If you require SSH over Putty, you should take a look to our excellent M4100 switch series, cost effective L2+ Fully Managed standalone switches here:

http://www.netgear.com/managed

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ahiro

Welcome to the community!

You cannot manage a Smart Managed Switch using SSH nor command line. Instead, a Smart Managed Switch is managed used Web interface (GUI) through HTTP.

Command line (CLI) and Telnet/SSH are one of the differences between Smart Managed switches and Fully Managed switches.

If you require SSH over Putty, you should take a look to our excellent M4100 switch series, cost effective L2+ Fully Managed standalone switches here:

http://www.netgear.com/managed

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Ahiro
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply LaurentMa!

That's what I thought...

I wanted to watch the ip address connected to a port. Is there a way to do it without CLI then?

Oh and... I wanted to buy an FVS336v3 firewall. Can we manage it with SSH? I can't find any information on it...

Message 3 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hello Ahiro

For the IP address connected to a port, yes it is possible to detect it using the Web interface (GUI). Please use your internet browser and log into your switch using its management IP address:

1. Use the Port Configuration page to detect the MAC address connected to that port (To access the Port Configuration page, click Switching > Ports > Port Configuration.)

2. Use the  Routing VLANs ARP Cache table in order to detect the IP address associated to that MAC address in the ARP table (To display the page, click Routing > ARP, then click the Advanced > ARP Create link)

You will find the GS752TS technical documentation here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS752TS(B).aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#docs

For the FVS336Gv3, this is the same thing: no SSH / command line. You can manage the unit through HTTP (Web GUI).

Let us know how it works with your Port table and ARP table -

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
Ahiro
Aspirant

My Routing VLANs ARP Cache is empty.

Is it normal and if yes, how can I tell the switch to fill it up?

When I go to Switching > Ports > Port Configuration, every port got the same MAC address too...

Message 5 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ahiro

Let's dive little further. First of all, we can look at the forwarding database which maintains a list of MAC addresses by physical interface (ports) after having received a packet from this MAC address. Your switch transparent bridging function uses this forwarding database entries to determine how to forward a received frame. To access this page, click Switching > Address Table > Basic > Address Table. You can use the search function of this MAC Address Table page to display information about the entries in the table.You are right, the Port Configuration table rather shows your switch physical interfaces MAC address.

Now, you should have the MAC address that is connected to the port you are looking after.

If your Routing VLANs ARP Cache table is empty, it may show you don't have any routing configured in your switch, so no routing VLANs and no routing IP interfaces. If that's the case, it is quite normal the ARP table isn't used / filled up at all.

In order to fill the ARP table, we should enable routing in your switch. To access the IP Configuration page,  click Routing > IP, then click the IP Configuration link. You can select Enable routing mode. Then go back to Routing > ARP, then click the Basic > ARP Cache link and you should show the ARP table correspondance filling up. In Avanced section, you can configure ARP settings (Aging time, Cache size, etc..)

I hope this helped, let us now how it goes

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
Ahiro
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer!

You're right, i don't got any vlan neither routing ip interface.

Can you tell me what the routing mode is used for?

Should I use this routing mode or a "real" router or nothing? Because I simply got several devices connected to the switch and I don't really need to use vlans...

Thank you anyway for all of your answers! It helped me a lot 🙂

Message 7 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Ahiro

Glad the community helped you out!

You problably don't need to enable Routing in our switch from what I see. Your switch can stay at Layer 2 and connect to your Internet Gateway (router). The Gateway should handle routing and NAT for your devices instead.

Layer 3 Routing in switches is useful when several VLANs and subnets, so that inter-VLAN routing can be done at wire speed, offloading the Internet Gateway.

Regards,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements