× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7224.V2H1 - Cannot start DHCP service

Lamda
Aspirant

GSM7224.V2H1 - Cannot start DHCP service

I have recently purchased a GSM7224 (V2) to use on a small scale 1 Gigabit residential/office setup.

This switch will be the central switch of the entire installation and it will take care of all the LAN tasks.

The first one of these tasks is to assign IP addresses dynamically from a range of IP addresses (192.168.4.1-254, subnet: 255.255.255.0). I have been battling with enabling the DHCP service on the switch by looking at the Software Administration Manual (ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GSM72xxPS/7000_SWA_8.0.2_10Mar10.pdf), Chapter 22: "Configuring a DHCP server in dynamic mode".

I followed these instructions to the T and I cannot get the DHCP server to assign IP addresses to the connected equipment (computers, servers etc). Needless to say that all these devices have been obtaining their IP addresses from the DHCP server that runs on my internet router w/o problems.

I am very suspicious about the steps that the manual suggests; I somehow think that they are either wrong or incomplete.

For example, I cannot understand why a new VLAN is needed. I want all the ports of the switch to work the same way. I also cannot see what is mentioned there about untagging ports 1 and 24...

And also, what happens with the new VLAN and the dynamic pool that is configured? Is there something missing that binds the two, so that the DHCP sever works according to the dynamic pool and on the new VLAN 200?

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could shed some light on the exact steps that someone needs to take in order to enable the DHCP server on this switch.

Message 1 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: GSM7224.V2H1 - Cannot start DHCP service

Message 2 of 3
Lamda
Aspirant

Re: GSM7224.V2H1 - Cannot start DHCP service

jmizoguchi wrote:
duplicate
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75841

This is probably my mistake, somehow posting this twice unintendedly.

I cannot delete this post, if a moderator/administrator could please wipe it out (but leaving the #75841 in).
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements