× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GSM7228PS stuck in bootup phase

RobLigt
Aspirant

GSM7228PS stuck in bootup phase

Hi,
I seek some guidance for the following issue;

GSM7228PS seems to be stuck in the bootup phase according to the power-led (constant amber)

I get no response on the console-connection.
I also get no network-link on any of the ports.

As the documentation is a wee bit limited on NG's website, e.g. it is not described anywhere how to reset the switch using the reset-button;
I'm not too sure how to proceed further without possibly bricking the switch.

LED's:
Power: constant amber

Fan: green

M1: green

M2: green

ID: 1
SFP+ port 25: green (without any GBIC installed)

SFP+ port 26: green (without any GBIC installed)

Ay suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Model: GSM7228PS|Prosafe 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RobLigt,

Upon checking, we currently don't have a KB regarding that.

In any case, to perform the 30 second method, please do the following:

1. Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds while the switch is powered on.
  2. Power off the switch while keeping the reset button pressed for 30 more seconds.
  3. Power the switch back on while keeping the reset button held down for the last 30 seconds.
  4. Release the reset button.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RobLigt,

You can only perform Factory Defaults on this switch via web GUI or console.

Assuming that you referred to this KB article in order to access the boot menu of the switch and it still doesn't work, then most likely you'll need to request for an RMA (please refer here on how to).

And if ever you were able to access the boot menu, select option 7 (check this KB as well for your reference).

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
RobLigt
Aspirant

Thanks @JeraldM ! 
Much obliged!
I gather that the reset-button on the front is more of a reboot-button then on the GSM7228PS?
As that would explain not much is written on the reset-button in the PDF's I've looked into.

As the switch is stuck in the boot-up phase (the console shows nothing I'm afraid) there is no recovery method, like using a USB Stick with the firmware and the famous 30-seconds method(s)?
If such a procedure is available, I would like to know and can attempt that.

BTW, I used the 9600 baud speed as that was printed on the chassis but will reattempt your outlined method again.

In the mean time I also investigated what happened and which method was used, and the only thing I can deduce from the intern who was assigned the task, he may have aborted the Factory default routine too early. (meaning: when you default you always have to write, wait, check and give the flash time to finish etc etc)

I really like our Netgear kit and I love this community. always very helpful.
But some of the Netgear caveats do have a sting, if you are not careful.

If everything else fails, we can consider the RMA but often is not worth our efforts as we have to dig-up the paperwork of the original purchase and with 7000+ employees in over 30 countries, can become a daunting task.
I hate to see perfect kit going to waist this way.

Message 3 of 7
RobLigt
Aspirant

Thanks @JeraldM ! 
Much obliged!
I gather that the reset-button on the front is more of a reboot-button then on the GSM7228PS?
As that would explain not much is written on the reset-button in the PDF's I've looked into.

As the switch is stuck in the boot-up phase (the console shows nothing I'm afraid) there is no recovery method, like using a USB Stick with the firmware and the famous 30-seconds method(s)?
If such a procedure is available, I would like to know and can attempt that.

BTW, I used the 9600 baud speed as that was printed on the chassis but will reattempt your outlined method again.

In the mean time I also investigated what happened and which method was used, and the only thing I can deduce from the intern who was assigned the task, he may have aborted the Factory default routine too early. (meaning: when you default you always have to write, wait, check and give the flash time to finish etc etc)

I really like our Netgear kit and I love this community. always very helpful.
But some of the Netgear caveats do have a sting, if you are not careful.

If everything else fails, we can consider the RMA but often is not worth our efforts as we have to dig-up the paperwork of the original purchase and with 7000+ employees in over 30 countries, can become a daunting task.
I hate to see perfect kit going to waist this way.

Message 4 of 7
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RobLigt,

That is right. The reset button is more of a reboot on the switch. 

You could probably try a different console cable if possible and/or performing the 30 seconds method, but if the issue still persists, then most likely you would need to RMA the device.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
RobLigt
Aspirant

Thanks @JeraldM !

Just to be sure, can you direct me please to where to find the 30-second method please?
I will also note it for the future, as we have more of these models becoming available.

I'm in the process of the RMA, but as outlined in my previous RMA, getting the proof-of-purchase is quite a hassle within a 9000+ employees company in over 35 countries worldwide...

Message 6 of 7
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @RobLigt,

Upon checking, we currently don't have a KB regarding that.

In any case, to perform the 30 second method, please do the following:

1. Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds while the switch is powered on.
  2. Power off the switch while keeping the reset button pressed for 30 more seconds.
  3. Power the switch back on while keeping the reset button held down for the last 30 seconds.
  4. Release the reset button.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements