× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7248 CLI Cannot Type Anything

GOTROK
Follower

GSM7248 CLI Cannot Type Anything

I have an old GSM7248 that I'm trying to get into.  I can connect via minicom and see the device boot with no problem.

Once it gets to the User login prompt, thats it.  Nada, it won't let me type anything and gives no further information.

I know minicom works since I have it connected to other Cisco consoles and I've tried enabling HW/SW flow controls, etc. but no luck.

Current settings are the standard:  9600 8N1 with no hw or sw flow control.

Any thoughts?

The only info I receive is:

U-Boot 1.1.2 (Feb 25 2006 - 21:16:55)

Board: Netgear GSM7248
DRAM: 64 MB
FLASH: 8.5 MB
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
init started: BusyBox v1.00 (2005.06.17-21:07+0000) multi-call
GSM7248 Startup Rev: 3.2

Select startup mode. If no selection is made within 3 seconds,
the GSM7248 Application will start automatically...

1 - Start GSM7248 Application
2 - Display Utility Menu
Select (1, 2):

Starting GSM7248 application...
/
/
/

GSM7248 starting...started!

(Unit 1)>

User:

Model: GSM7248|ProSafe 48 Port Gigabit Layer2 managed switch
Message 1 of 2
Jedi_Exile
NETGEAR Expert

Re: GSM7248 CLI Cannot Type Anything

Based on the information you provided, you are using the correct terminal setting for this switch which is baud rate: 9,600 bps • Data bits: 8 • Parity: none • Stop bit: 1 • Flow control: none  (9600 8N1 none).  Considering the connection work with other Cisco equipment but on this switch, only output is seen but not input, below are likely possibility

Most common reason for this.

1. Your cable is not properly wired for null-modem or connection TX pin is the loose contact.  As you did not specify what cable is being used,  If using Cisco console cable, I suggest converting it to Null modem first. https://www.instructables.com/id/Cisco-Console-to-Null-Modem-Serial-Adapter/  

2. The RX pin on the switch side is bent or not working.  If the switch was purchased by you for an authorized vendor, you can request a replacement through Support RMA process.  Please visit the www.netgear.com/support/contact to register and get support case in order to contact support for RMA services.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements