× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7248 Cannot factory reset

CTDhelpdesk
Follower

GSM7248 Cannot factory reset

I've inherited a GSM 7248 and am trying to complete a simple factory reset.  I've tried:

1) Holding the Reset button down for 2-3 seconds, per https://kb.netgear.com/24679/How-do-I-reset-a-smart-switch-to-factory-default-settings

2) Holding the reset button down for 30 seconds prior to and after reboot, per: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/factory-reset-a-netgear-gsm7224-switch.1145923/

and neither works.  The switch is not detectable via the utility nor pingable at 192.168.0.239.

The manual at: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GSM7200_HIG.pdf  doesn't specify a correct procedure, for some reason...

Is there a way to factory reset this without the console cable?  Clarity would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Model: GSM7248|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Layer2 Managed Switch
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GSM7248 Cannot factory reset

Hi CTDhelpdesk,

Welcome to our community!

This kind of switches can only be set to factory default via CLI. You can access the CLI by using a direct console connection or by using a telnet or SSH connection from a remote management host. For the initial connection, you must use a direct connection to the console port. You cannot access the system remotely until the system has an IP address and subnet mask. You can set the network configuration information manually, or you can configure the system to accept these settings from a BOOTP or DHCP server on your network. Go into the boot menu and erase the configuration.

You may check the installation guide here.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@CTDhelpdesk,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread. Please let us know if everything is ok now or you still need further assistance.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 4
nguser7896
Aspirant

I decided to dust off my old GSM7248R (that I used to use at my office many years ago) for my house. I was able to use PuTTY to TelNet to the device. However using ezconfig I could not reset the password or revert to a factory default (option 10). In my desperation I decided to delete the configuration. Now I'm further behind because I can no longer log into the web interface or boot normally (option 1). How can I either install a default configuration or better yet do a complete factory reset? I'm assuming I'll need to continue using PuTTY as my TelNet client. Any help wouldn't be much appreciated.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements