× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7248: How many LACP groups can be defined?

Redhatter
Aspirant

GSM7248: How many LACP groups can be defined?

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a GSM7248 switch (not sure if it'll be "v1" or "v2"; both Umart and Scorptec just say "GSM7248" without saying which one) to replace a Linksys LGS326-AU.

I have a 5 node cluster (see https://hackaday.io/project/10529-solar-powered-cloud-computing for detail on the set-up), which each node having 4 Ethernet interfaces.  They've been set up to bond those interfaces in pairs, so basically 2Gbps for a back-end network, and 2Gbps for front-end.

I bought the LGS326-AU thinking that would do the job, and for the most part it does, but it doesn't support creating more than 4 link aggregation groups, and so I have to use the alternate bonding options in the Linux kernel to make the link aggregation happen.

To do things properly, I need a switch that will support a minimum of 10 link aggregation groups with LACP (IEEE 802.3ad). I'd like to aim for 12 or 16 just to give me some breathing room. So far, I have not seen what the limit is reading the literature on the GSM7248.

I am also running low on ports.  While 48 ports is overkill, 26 is really tight: two are occupied by the switches elsewhere in my network (two Cisco SG-200-08s), one with a small industrial monitoring PC, a small 100Mbps switch for the IPMI LAN, a border router (PC Engines APU2) and one spare admin port.

So I figure, if I'm going to replace the switch, I might as well do some homework on the LACP front to see if this will do the job.  To install it, I will need to replace the power supply in the switch with one that will operate on 12V, as that's what the whole cluster runs on. In short, I will be voiding the warranty in performing this modification once I've confirmed the switch is capable of doing the job I intend. If someone's done this already or has cracked a switch open to do other repairs, I'd be interested to know if the PSU is separate from the switch main-board and what its specifications are, that will allow me to plan ahead.

If someone could confirm the LACP capabilities of this switch, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Model: GSM7248|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit Layer2 Managed Switch, GSM7248v1|ProSAFE 48-port Layer 2 Gigabit L2 Ethernet Switch|EOL, GSM7248v2|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Redhatter
Aspirant

Re: GSM7248: How many LACP groups can be defined?

Actually… I think I found a better option… the GS748Tv5 states support for 26 LAGs and is half the price.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Not sure if it's accurate, but the manual says 64 LAGs are supported.  manual

Message 2 of 5
Redhatter
Aspirant

(Hmm, brilliant, backspace some trailing whitespace, and this site sends me back to the previous page and loses my reply in the process.  Seems composing posts on this site is a bit on the buggy side… but I digress…)

Thanks for the confirmation, looks like this switch is definitely a worthy candidate and I'll probaby re-locate the existing switch elsewhere.

I did try looking, but the data sheet doesn't say and I wasn't sure if I had the right manual or not.  Elsewhere I heard rumours of only 8 LAGs being supported on this model, so wanted to try and get a difinitive answer.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Hopefully, someone from Netgear can confirm the figure in the manual.
Message 4 of 5
Redhatter
Aspirant

Actually… I think I found a better option… the GS748Tv5 states support for 26 LAGs and is half the price.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements