× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7352 Vlan between multiple switches and config

pholgate
Aspirant

GSM7352 Vlan between multiple switches and config

I am working in a new environment and am having the following problem:

I have 5 switches (1 w/routing duties at boundary) and a firewall between the internet and my end server.  When I assign the server a 172.16.40.x IP and dg of 172.16.40.1, It will not connect to the internet or be able to ping anything.  

I have created a VLAN 40 on all switches, and have tagged the trunk ports between the devices with VLAN 40.  The server/edge port is Untagged.

Our router shows the dynamic route to the VLAN 40 IP address of 40.1, which should then forward via default route out to the firewall and have internet connectivity. 

On Router:

Dynamic172.16.40.0255.255.255.0Local0/4/10172.16.40.101

On Router Default Route:

Default0.0.0.00.0.0.0192.168.1.2001

1.200 is our firewall, and goes out to the Internet.  

VLAN Status on Router:

40VlanNameStatic0/4/101/0/21-1/0/24

1/0/21 on Router connects to Switch 1, and both Router and Switch ports are Tagged for VLAN 40

After this, there are 2 more switches enroute to the server, both are connected by fiber and the fiber/trunk lines have been tagged for VLAn 40.

Example Switch3 settings, the incoming and outgoing trunk lines have been tagged with VLAN 40:

40VlanNameStatic 0/25 - 0/26, 0/49 - 0/50

The switches all just have a default route back to the router.

At the edge/access port switch, I have the trunk ports tagged, and the access port Untagged (U).

When I assign an IP in the 172.16.40.x range with a 172.16.40.1 default gateway, I get no connection.

I should note that all ports are part of a default vlan and when I assign the server an IP address within the default vlan range, it connects fine to everything.  But I need to have it have a 172.16.40.x IP and be part of VLAN 40, as the server is connecting via a tunnel to another location (Tunnel is all working fine).

Any assistance appreciated!!

-Paul

Model: GSM7352S|ProSAFE 48-port Gigabit L3 Stackable Switch
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: GSM7352 Vlan between multiple switches and config

Hi @pholgate

Welcome to the community!

One more question:

Do you mean there is one switch working as Router and assign IP address(172.16.40.x) to clients in your network?

If use default VLAN, it working normally ,right? So when use default VLAN, client get IP address for which device? Firewall?

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 7
pholgate
Aspirant

Our primary switch is L3 and functioning as a router, it does not assign any addresses.  It has a VLAN 40 created on it with an IP of 172.16.40.1, which is what I am trying to use as the default gateway for the server. 

None of the switches are acting as a DHCP server.  We have a seperate DHCP server on the network.  Since only one machine is going to have the 172.16.40.x IP address, I have not created a DHCP scope on that server for that IP range. 

Message 3 of 7
pholgate
Aspirant

To address your second question, when I set to obtain an IP automatically, it picks up a 192.168.x.x address from the DHCP server and is able to connect to everything fine.  

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pholgate

I suggest you need point server's gateway to Firewall, as Switch(even working as Router role) doesn't support NAT function. If you point gateway to Switch, the Internet connection will be unreachable, it only support forwarding traffic Intra-VLAN or Inter-VLAN.

Message 5 of 7
pholgate
Aspirant

All of our servers and worstations gateway address is our Router, and they all have internet capabilities outside of our network.  The NAT is handled by our firewall, and there is a provision in there for the network in question.

I am leaning toward there being an issue with the PVID settings, but the Netgear documentation in this area appears to be whofully inadequate, as I am having problems understanding when PVID settings need to be used, how they are used and the result of use. 

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@pholgate

Fot the port connect to host: it should be add to VLAN without tagged, and PVID=VLAN ID;

For the port connect between switches: if the port need traverse many VLANs, it should be add to VLANs(except VLAN 1) with tagged, and PVID is default VLAN 1.

For PVID function description: The untagged packets coming to the port will be put in the VLAN based on the PVID.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements