× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSM7352S newbie / vlans & ip routing

jmalcom13
Follower

GSM7352S newbie / vlans & ip routing

Hello,

I've just been "tasked" with segregating out business office. Management was informed by an independent consultant (which they don't want to pay to actually make the changes - go figure) that we need to separate our network into subnets due to size and network traffic. Right now we have a large 192.168.1.x network spanning two switches in two buildings, all on same ip scheme and no vlan implemented. Here's the goal:

Switch 1: GSM7352Sv1
Network: 192.168.1.x
Contains our AD/DHCP/DNS server, multiple network printers
End user workstations in building 1

Switch 2: GSM7352Sv1
Network: 192.168.2.x
End user workstations in building 2

There is a direct connection between the two switches/buildings.

We need the server and printers to be accessible from both building 1 and building 2, while still segregating the network into two subnets.

I don't know much about vlan/ip routing/layer 3. If anyone can assist that would be very much appreciated. I've looked over the manual for the model, but am still fairly lost. Honestly, I need some guidance on what I should be doing.

Thanks,
James Malcom

Message 1 of 2
kofi
Aspirant

Re: GSM7352S newbie / vlans & ip routing

I can't really assist you with these exact switches, nor do I have experience with all aspects of your project. - But similar (with non-Netgear). Nonetheless, get prepared to hack on the Netgear console and read some manuals 🙂

I'd go in a somewhat similar way, but that's not set in stone:

The switch should be able to make ACL's implement the two subnets (basically a firewall), but be aware that Active Directory needs a whole lot of dynamic ports between AD Clients and Servers.

All in all, that's a nifty project for you - if you haver done things like that before, prepare yourself for some hefty learning and testing. - It's your time the company will have to invest instead of paying for consulting people who do that more regularly 😉
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements