× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Having issues connecting to management interface over network with m4100 (GSM7248p)

tsgrandslam
Aspirant

Having issues connecting to management interface over network with m4100 (GSM7248p)

I have been having an issue connecting to the switch management web GUI over a network. We have the following:

company lan (10.0.20.0/23) : vlan 10

guest wifi lan (10.40.0.0/23) : vlan 11

company lan (192.168.90.0/24): vlan 11

company lan ( 10.241.72.0/23): vlan 12

network management (192.168.116.0/24): vlan 20

On the m4100 the following is configured:

management interface:

vlan 20

static ip: 192.168.116.12/24

routing enabled: off 

Global routing: off

All switches have routing mode off, only L2 switching with one linux box acting as router and also the gateway/firewall. All subnets and their respective vlans are configured in the router with proper routes set up for the ones that are allowed to communicate with each other (in this instance vlan 10 (10.0.20.0) with vlan 20 (192.168.116.0)  We have several Netgear smart managed pro switches and I am able to successfully login to web mgmt on those from vlan 10 on my laptop which is currently assigned 10.0.20.48. However on the fully managed m4100 this is not the case. I have set a single port on the m4100 as a management port (port 44) with it pvid as 20 and only vlan 20 untagged  assigned to it. Port 47-50 all have vlan 20 tagged as they are acting as trunk ports (although not explicitly configured as such) to other switches, and ultamitly, the router. I can connect to the web mgmt if connected dirrectly to port 44 however I cannot on my laptop. I can ping 192.168.116.12 and can connect to the other smart managed pro switches mgmt interfaces which are in the 192.168.116.0 subnet just fine and their traffic flows through the switch in question.  A traceroute shows 

1 _gateway (10.0.20.1) 1.592 ms 1.880 ms 1.865 ms
2 192.168.116.12 (192.168.116.12) 14.451 ms 18.885 ms 22.315 ms

which correctly shows the packets going to the router then being routed back to switch. 

So anyone know why i cant access web management interface?

Thanks

Model: M4100-50G-POE+ (GSM7248P)|ProSafe 50 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
tsgrandslam
Aspirant

Re: Having issues connecting to management interface over network with m4100 (GSM7248p)

Finally, after much tinkering the past few months I finally decided to go up to our business at night while we were closed so I could take the network offline and do some real testing, and after much frustration, I have finally got it to work correctly as expected. To anyone having similar issues this is what I had to do:

Download the text config startup file from the switch to my computer. I then opened it in a text editor and scrolled to the bottom of the file and saw some interface configurations like this:

interface vlan 1 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 20 
routing
ip address 192.168.116.12 255.255.255.0
exit 
interface vlan 10 
routing
ip address 10.0.20.24 255.255.254.0
exit 
ip management vlan 20
exit 

Since I am doing only L2 switching there was no need for routing. I deleted all those (but still left the global config set to disable it) and then completely deleted the vlan10 configs. the bottom of the file now looked like this:

interface vlan 1 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 10 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 20 
routing
exit 
ip management vlan 20
exit 

I then uploaded it back to the switch, gave it time to load the new configurations and whala! Alas, success! It makes sense after checking that file but I still feel there is an issue with the way the web GUI makes configuration changes. Technically it should of still let me connect to the GUI with the 10.0.20.24 still configured to VLAN10 because I had set the mgmt vlan to VLAN20, not to mention I could ping 192.168.116.12 all along so I know the switch was aware that IP address belonged to itself somewhere. Also, the webGUI does not let you (that I could tell) simply delete a ip configuration on the management interface configuration page. It will throw an error if you attempt to leave it blank. So anyways, I will now only use the CLI to program this switch because it seems the GUI does not have full capabilities. If I am wrong about not being able to delete a mgmt interface config from a vlan altogether, someone please correct me. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
tsgrandslam
Aspirant

Re: Having issues connecting to management interface over network with m4100 (GSM7248p)

Update: It seems i can connect to it over the old address it used to be assigned via DHCP on vlan 10 (10.0.20.24). I am trying to put all network management on a sperate network and deleted the static DHCP lease in our router as well as assigned the management vlan to vlan 20 in the switch as well as set a static IP for it. Why is the switch ignoring this?

Message 2 of 6
tsgrandslam
Aspirant

After reading other posts on this forum, I’m starting to wonder if this is a bug in the firmware for the m4100. It seems if the switch gets an address from a DHCP server on any Vlan it will use that address for the web mgmt address no matter what you try to set the mgmt vlan to be.

Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tsgrandslam,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

After reading other posts on this forum, I’m starting to wonder if this is a bug in the firmware for the m4100. It seems if the switch gets an address from a DHCP server on any Vlan it will use that address for the web mgmt address no matter what you try to set the mgmt vlan to be.

As far as I have checked, there is no issue logged on the M4100 switch as per you have described on your post.  Kindly try to reboot the M4100 switch and check if the same problem will occur. 

What is the current firmware version of your M4100 switch? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
tsgrandslam
Aspirant

Well here are similar cases I see:

here  

and here

possibly here

probably here as well

and here    

possibly here too 

probably here as well 

In several cases all relevant configs are set to the desired management vlan, switch can be pinged from said mgmt vlan, but web interface (as well as telnet from my testing) will not connect.

Firmware Version10.0.2.30
Boot VersionB1.0.1.1
CPLD Version0x2
Serial Number3A9897**********
ACOK
RemoteNot Present
PoE Version1.8.0.1
MAX PoEOFF
Message 5 of 6
tsgrandslam
Aspirant

Finally, after much tinkering the past few months I finally decided to go up to our business at night while we were closed so I could take the network offline and do some real testing, and after much frustration, I have finally got it to work correctly as expected. To anyone having similar issues this is what I had to do:

Download the text config startup file from the switch to my computer. I then opened it in a text editor and scrolled to the bottom of the file and saw some interface configurations like this:

interface vlan 1 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 20 
routing
exit 
interface vlan 10 
routing
ip address 10.0.20.24 255.255.254.0
exit 
ip management vlan 20
exit 

Since I am doing only L2 switching there was no need for routing. I deleted all those (but still left the global config set to disable it) and then completely deleted the vlan10 configs. the bottom of the file now looked like this:

interface vlan 1 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 10 
routing
ip address dhcp
exit 
interface vlan 20 
routing
exit 
ip management vlan 20
exit 

I then uploaded it back to the switch, gave it time to load the new configurations and whala! Alas, success! It makes sense after checking that file but I still feel there is an issue with the way the web GUI makes configuration changes. Technically it should of still let me connect to the GUI with the 10.0.20.24 still configured to VLAN10 because I had set the mgmt vlan to VLAN20, not to mention I could ping 192.168.116.12 all along so I know the switch was aware that IP address belonged to itself somewhere. Also, the webGUI does not let you (that I could tell) simply delete a ip configuration on the management interface configuration page. It will throw an error if you attempt to leave it blank. So anyways, I will now only use the CLI to program this switch because it seems the GUI does not have full capabilities. If I am wrong about not being able to delete a mgmt interface config from a vlan altogether, someone please correct me. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements