× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Update POE-firmware on GS724TPP

TimesEnemy
Aspirant

How to Update POE-firmware on GS724TPP

I have a "GS724TPP: 24-Port Gigabit Hi-Power PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports and Cloud Management" device running firmware 2.0.6.3.  There are a few discrepancies I would like addressed.

1) Under System > Management > Versions it shows Model Name: GS724TPP, Boot Version: 1.0.0.8, and Software Version: 2.0.6.3.  Should this Boot Version be the same as the Software Version?  If not, where do I find Boot Firmware updates?

2) Under System > PoE > Basic > PoE Configuration it shows Firmware Version: 1.8.0.5.  Should this PoE Firmware Version be the same as the above Software Version of 2.0.6.3?  If not, where do I find PoE Firmware updates?

3) For information purposes, under Maintenance > File Management > Dual Image > Dual Image Status it shows Image1 Ver: 2.0.6.3, Image2 Ver: 2.0.6.3, Current-active: image1, Next-active: image1.

I have searched the netgear.com website and can only find downloads for firmware which reference the image firmware, and am unable to find any boot or PoE specific firmware updates.

I have also searched this forum, and the closest thread I can find is the How to Update POE-firmware on M5300-POE thread, which does not apply to my GS724TPP.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Model: GS724TPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to Update POE-firmware on GS724TPP

@TimesEnemy wrote:

1) Under System > Management > Versions it shows Model Name: GS724TPP, Boot Version: 1.0.0.8, and Software Version: 2.0.6.3.  Should this Boot Version be the same as the Software Version?

No.

@TimesEnemy wrote:

2) Under System > PoE > Basic > PoE Configuration it shows Firmware Version: 1.8.0.5.  Should this PoE Firmware Version be the same as the above Software Version of 2.0.6.3? 

No.

@TimesEnemy wrote:

If not, where do I find Boot Firmware updates?

Bootloader images would be made available along with a firmware distribution, and the update requirements (automatic update, or mandatory bootloader before the firmware installation would be documented. Mind your step: On older and more complex switches, always check the complete firmware update release notes, sometimes the notes of required bootloader updates went lost over time. 

@TimesEnemy wrote:

If not, where do I find PoE Firmware updates?

If PoE controller firmware updates are made available, these are typically included with the firmware images, uploaded and applied during the firmware update process - very customer friendly on these Smart Managed Pro switches.

@TimesEnemy wrote:

3) For information purposes, under Maintenance > File Management > Dual Image > Dual Image Status it shows Image1 Ver: 2.0.6.3, Image2 Ver: 2.0.6.3, Current-active: image1, Next-active: image1.

You can also choose the firmware image (version) to become active after the boot, or in case return to the previous version. A nice feature.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. As we talk about a Smart Managed Pro switch, I'll ask a moderator to move the thread accordingly 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements