× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: IGMP Snooping breaks Bonjour / AirPrint

wodo
Aspirant

IGMP Snooping breaks Bonjour / AirPrint

Hi,

since we use a GS116Ev2 switch in our network we constantly had problem using AirPrint or other services that rely on Bonjour. Sometimes discovery of the AirPrint capable printers worked. Sometimes not.

I figured out that the IGMP Snooping option is the root of this problem. Once this option was disabled, everything worked stable.

Is Netgear aware of this problem? And will be a new firmware fixing this?

Thanks!

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi wodo,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

So far , I have not found any issues pertaining to IGMP Snooping that it breaks Bonjour/AirPrint when its enabled on the GS116Ev2.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the current firmware version of your GS116Ev2?

b. Does same problem occur if you remove the GS116Ev2 from your current network setup?

c. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the GS116Ev2 then reconfigure it from scratch and check if same problem occurs when IGMP Snooping is enabled?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
wodo
Aspirant

Here are my answers:

a.) 2.0.1.26

b.) No. Without the Netgear the problem does not occur.

c.) Yes. Factory Reset did not help.

I have two AirPort Express connected to the Netgear. The AirPrint devices are connected to the WLANs of these AirPort Express. When the AirPort Express stations are rebooted, AirPrint works for a few minuten across the NetGear switch. But then the AirPrint devices start to disappear and are no longer discoverable across the GS116E.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi wodo,

Can you try to downgrade the firmware to v2.0.1.24 then check if same problem will occur.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the GS116Ev2 after a successful downgrade of the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.   

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
dialsc
Guide

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm facing a very similar issue with a M5300-28G-POE+ switch running the latest firmware version.

For the Negear guys: I have a ticket with Netgear about this issue: 26900588

Greez,

dialsc

Model: M5300-28G-POE+ (GSM7228PSv1h2)|Prosafe 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 5 of 8
wodo
Aspirant

I've done the downgrade to 2.0.1.24 with factroy reset. Same behavior.

What I figured out is that the problem occurs when the AirPrint devices are connected to the AirPort Extreme. As soon as a device is behind an AirPort Extreme, the problem starts and only devices that are connected to the same AirPort can discover these the AirPrint printers. So it seems to be some incompatibility between the Netgear IGMP snooping implementation and the AirPort Extreme. The AirPort Extremes we are using have the latest firmwares installed as well (7.6.4 and 7.7.3 depending on the hardware version).

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi wodo,

I think it would be best that you open an online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Let them know about your concern as it might be a compatibility issue between the GS116Ev2 and the AirPort Extreme.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello wodo,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements