× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IMGPv3 on GS716Tv3 Firmware Version 6.3.1.19

KKong
Aspirant

IMGPv3 on GS716Tv3 Firmware Version 6.3.1.19

Hi, is it possible to use IMGPv3? Just can see IMGPv1 & IMGPv2 under IMGP Snooping Querier. Thanks in advance. Greetings Alex

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: IMGPv3 on GS716Tv3 Firmware Version 6.3.1.19

Hm, compared to IGMPv1 and IGMPv2 ... an IGMPv3 querier is a much more complex beast. Not sure if there are any plans for adding this capability to the L2/3 switches - @LaurentMa @bradleyv please.

Message 2 of 8
KKong
Aspirant

Hi schumaku, thanks for your respons.

I asked because of the technical spezification in chapter "L2 SERVICES - MULTICAST FILTERING":

IGMP Snooping (v1, v2 and v3) - yes. But i can't find it and IPTV dosen't work with v2.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/GS716Tv3-GS724Tv4-GS748Tv5.pdf

Greetings Alex

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

For most IPTV application (feed from an ISP router) I doubt one does need an IGMPv3 querier. You don't try to route the IPTV traffic internally to other subnets or the like?

Message 4 of 8
KKong
Aspirant

No. My simple configuration Vigor130 (modem), RT2600ac (router) and der GS716Tv3 switch. It seems to be that no one can handle IMGPv3. But the components (GS716Tv3, RT2600ac) should IMGPv3 ready - technical spec.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Connect the IPTV set-top-box direct to one of the router network ports and test there.

What ISP and IPTV are we facing here?

Worth noting, if there are multiple IGMP querier on the same broadcast domain, the one with the lowast IPv4 address is elected - typically the router itself.

Operating several Smart Managed Pro in the L2 backbone and Smart Managed Plus and Insight Switches on my network, providing access to two UHD/4K and two FullHD IPTV boxes for Swisscom TV here. On live TV zapping, these boxes start on Unicast, but switch to Multicast after a few secons of playback. Absolute perfect experience - and not a single IGMP querier active on the LAN - well, leaving the ISP provided router alone of course. 

Message 6 of 8
KKong
Aspirant

Thanks schumaku. I tried it but after 10 seconds i get a freeze frame (router or switch) and i just tried it either with IGMP on the router (v3) or switch(v1/v2). ISP German Telekom. 

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

First make it workable on a router switch port. Then it will work on the switched network, too - no additional querier required.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements