× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPV4 muticast with IGMP snooping

Raman_JK
Follower

IPV4 muticast with IGMP snooping

Hi ,

I have to send two IPv4 muticast feeds to two ports(3, 4) of switch.  My multicast feeds are not vlan based frames. They are in 802.3 format only. I will connects port 6 to my test application running on Linux system and send the muticast join request from there. I want to use IGMP snooping to disable flooding of multicast frames on all ports and have muticast feeds forwarded to port 6 only. Is it possible that non vlan packets on port 3 and 4 get forwarded to port 6 only using IGMP snooping enabled?

Thanks,

Model: GSM7224|24-port All Gigabit L2 Managed Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 3
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: IPV4 muticast with IGMP snooping

Hi Raman_JK,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I inquired your case to our engineering team. I'll let you know immediately once we got an update.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: IPV4 muticast with IGMP snooping

@Raman_JK wrote:

I have to send two IPv4 muticast feeds to two ports(3, 4) of switch.  My multicast feeds are not vlan based frames. They are in 802.3 format only. I will connects port 6 to my test application running on Linux system and send the muticast join request from there.

Configure three untagged ports into a switch local VLAN (use a spare ID not used elsewhere on the LAN), and enable the ICMP multicast handling for that VLAN. 

Absolutely "normal" that the Multicast traffic can be tagged or untagged. Just for the UI config on the switch, these ports must be assigned to a VLAN ID, where you can configure the IGMP Multicast handling.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements