× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPv6 prefix delegation on M4300-8X8F: how?

helmlein
Aspirant

IPv6 prefix delegation on M4300-8X8F: how?

I'm trying to get IPv6 prefix delegation to work on a M4300-8X8F. I'm trying to receive the upstream router info (DHCPV6 server configured for prefix delegation) on VLAN 99 and I'd like to redistribute the prefix (/64) on a second VLAN interface, vlan 17. The config I have come up with at this time is (ospf stuff removed from the interfaces; that works fine...):

---

vlan routing 17 1
vlan routing 99 2
ipv6 unicast-routing
service dhcpv6

interface vlan 17
routing
ip address 192.168.17.254 255.255.255.0
ipv6 enable
ipv6 dhcp server automatic rapid-commit
exit

interface vlan 99
routing
ip address 192.168.99.254 255.255.255.0
ipv6 enable
ipv6 address autoconfig
ipv6 dhcp client pd
exit

---

Now the upstream router sends out RAs (administered) in VLAN 99, and at the same time the PD. Sometimes the Netgear 4300 picks those up (typically when I shut/noshut the interface or reconfigure DHCP), but after about an hour (=the lease time for the PD), the network disappears. Also, the 4300 wouldn't put the PD range on one of the interfaces; the only time I can actually see it (apart from the bindings info on the upstream router) is in "show ipv6 dhcp bindings":

---

(M4300-8X8F) #show ipv6 dhcp bin                   

Total number of bindings : 1

Client Address................................. fe80::208:9bff:fef6:df2d
Client Interface............................... vlan 17
Client DUID.................................... 00:01:00:01:21:5d:ed:6f:00:08:9b:f6:df:2d
Identity Association ID........................ 769652379
Binding Prefix Address......................... 2001:4060:c007:3c04::1
Binding Prefix Type ........................... IA_NA
Binding Expiration (secs)...................... 231430
Binding Prefix Valid Lifetime (secs)........... 259200
Binding Prefix Preferred Lifetime (secs)....... 233280

---

"show ipv6 inter brief" will always only display the link local IPs

---

vlan 17      Enabled  fe80::abd:43ff:fe71:5688/64
vlan 99      Enabled  fe80::abd:43ff:fe71:5688/64

---

Is there some example configuration I could work with and use as a template? The manual for the M4300 seems to be quite short on the subject; apart from listing the commands, no examples are listed.

I'd be thankful for any input and, if I get it to work finally, would post the summary; I really haven't found anything about IPv6 DHCP for SWITCHES here, just for the firewall...

H.

Message 1 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: IPv6 prefix delegation on M4300-8X8F: how?

Hi helmlein,

Welcome to our community!

I believe most of our switches has a lifetime chat support warranty. I suggest you to take advantage of that and you may open a chat / case on NETGEAR support.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@helmlein,

I would like to have a follow up on this thread if you were able to create a case online. Please keep us posted so that the community will also benefit with your solution.

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
helmlein
Aspirant

Hi JohnCarloV,

I have indeed opened a case (#29060960), but the problem has not yet been resolved. I have got the information now from one of the engineers that the switch would only accept DHCP on the management interface. I can't believe this for three reasons:
a) it's not uncommon that the mgmt interface is put in a separate management (V)LAN and that it won't take part in any routing or "productive" network traffic, so there is no point crippling the switch for such a common scenario
b) I can add the commands to just any interface, and the switch won't complain, and, third
c) the switch DOES accept the lease on a VLAN interface (as DHCPv6 client), it just won't put the respective pool on a second interface for either RA nor DHCPv6 (Server) AND it would not renew it once it times out.

I sent a similar message to support, and haven't had an answer back (apart from "please let us know when we can reach you by phone so we can explain this to you"). But as said in the original post, I WILL write a summary once either I get it to work myself or Netgear support solves it.

H.

Message 4 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

helmlein,

Thank you for that! The community is looking forward in benefiting a solution from you!

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
helmlein
Aspirant

Status update: L2 support threatens to close the case if they can't discuss the issue (which they haven't tried to investigate) by phone. Obviously, they haven't even made suggestions on how to configure things, either.

So it seems this is not something which will be sorted out by Netgear support; I'll still post an update if I figure it out on my own.

H.

Message 6 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@helmlein,

I believe they keep on sending you emails everyday and they even wanted to call you. If they are not receiving any response from your end, then that would be the time that the case will be automatically set to close as there is inactivity. They need your cooperation on this so that we can help you resolve this issue immediately. My apologies on that.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements