× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Java for GSM7212 and GSM7312

dave6592
Aspirant

Java for GSM7212 and GSM7312

Hi

Trying to get my GSM7212 and GSM7312 device view to work.

I Have Java 1.7.0_79 installed and the switch addresses in the exception list.

OS is Windows 8.1

All I get is "You need JAVA Plugin. Get it from hear"

Can anyone tell me the correct way to get the "Device View" to work?

Thank-you

Model: GSM7212P|ProSAFE 12-port Gigabit Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Java for GSM7212 and GSM7312

Hi dave6592,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried using other browsers like Chrome of Firefox? 

b. Have you tried using other PCs or laptops to isolate the problem? Also, try using other PCs or laptops with older Windows OS such as Windows 7.

c. Have you tried using lower versions of the browsers such as Internet Explorer 9?

d. Have you tried using Java 7 on Internet Explorer?  

Kindly try the steps below: 

On Windows, fix the java security settings to allow local trust to specific applets: 

1. Go to Control Panel (It would be best to switch to Category View) then locate Java.

2. Open Java then edit the following security section.

3. Make sure Java is enabled in browser and if ever its not, add an exception for the switch IP address.

4. Make sure under Advanced, your browser is enabled for Java.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dave6592,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
kgardner
Aspirant

I've run into this problem too (I have two Netgear GS752TPS(B) switches), and would really like to solve it. I've given up on Firefox and Chrome, according to your notes, and am focused on IE since you seem to indicate that it would work better (even though I'd never use it otherwise! Isn't it EOL also?).

So just limiting the discussion to IE, my browser is enabled for Java, I've added the exception for the IP address of my switch (I added it as "https://10.0.1.67", accessing it only from within the same LAN, so another 10.0.1.x address; does that look right?). I am getting the message, "Error - click for details" and then "Application blocked. Click for details." Java is enabled, and I have version 8.0.1310.11 installed. Do I need to change security levels or something also?

Message 4 of 9
dave6592
Aspirant

Hi
It just doesn't work on windows ten and java whatever
That what I want and tried
Message 5 of 9
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi 

Can you install IE Tab in your latest Chrome browser?

Please try it. When on the login page of your switch, push IE tab button to display the page in IE-based tab and let us know how it gows -

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
AW_GearNet
Guide

Same problem here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/EOL-for-Java-new-FW-for-GS724Tv4/m-p/1117228

IE Tab is for Windows only!

https://www.ietab.net/

I do not use Windows!

And how long will it work with Windows? As long as the IE rendering engine is in Win.

Don't know if Edge uses still IE rendering.

And may be it is not for free:

https://www.ietab.net/license

Netgear should think about a solution for vanishing Java.

Rgds

AW

Message 7 of 9
kgardner
Aspirant

I installed IE Tab, went through the installation steps, and it's still telling me that it's being blocked and the site I'm hitting needs to be in the exception list. I do not know how to do that here (my primary machine is a Mac, I am doing this on a Windows machine running Windows Server 2008. 

I paid good money for these two switches, in part because they had these "Smart Switch" features that I felt would facilitate my extremely busy work day. I did not expect to have these parts of the application not working, or to do Netgear's troubleshooting. 

I'm also quite disappointed with other features, such as the fact that on the monitoring screens, you can't click on the column headings to sort by that column, as in almost every other modern application. And particularly since that feature doesn't exist, it's doubly annoying that there isn't an "export data" function on these screens so that I can easily export the data to Excel where I ~can~ sort it the way I need to. 

Frustrating. I hope that there are developers working on this stuff. 

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kgardner,

The GS752TPS(B) switch are not yet EOL.   As far as I have checked with regard to the issue wherein Device View only works with Java 7 not Java 8,  there is a patch build for the GS752TPS(B) switch that fixes the issue.  I am not sure if this fix was included on the firmwares that were release since v5.3.0.25 because it is not listed as one of the bug fixes or enhancement.  The latest firmware version for the GS752TPS(B) switch as of now is v5.3.0.31.  

I suggest you to open a chat / online case with NETGEAR Support and inquire about patch build for the GS752TPS(B) switches for further assistance.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements