× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LACP as L3 interface on M4300 series

swbelgium
Aspirant

LACP as L3 interface on M4300 series

Hi,

We have a couple of M4300-96X which are used as the primary switches for our storage network. Currently the storage network is linked to the rest through a L2 LACP LAG.

As on ongoing redesign / improvement of our overall network setup, we are eliminating as much L2 connections as possible, so we want to replace the L2 uplink with an L3 connection between the two networks. Next to the link to the primary storage network, we also have a L3 connection to the backup storage network. That way we can eliminate the need for STP and use a routing protocol to create a HA connection without creating a L2 loop.

As far as I can tell however, it's not possible to configure the LACP LAG as a L3 interface in routing mode? Are there any plans for this in the near future? Are there better/other solutions?

Attached a simplified drawing of what we want to achieve...

regards,
Sam

Model: XSM4396K0/XSM4396K1|M4300-96X – Modular Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: LACP as L3 interface on M4300 series

LACP LAG is always a L0...L2 feature. The question is if the L3 routing does support the LAG interfaces - what I think it does. @LaurentMa please.

Message 2 of 5
swbelgium
Aspirant

true, but you understand what I mean...

Trying is knowing...

(Interface lag 3)#routing

An invalid interface has been used for this function.
A valid routing interface must be specified.

lag 3
Routing cannot be enabled on this type of interface

Smiley Sad that's a bummer...

Any ideas on how we could accomplish more or less the same without routing on the lag?

equal path routing on the interfaces themself without putting them in a lag?

Message 3 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi swbelgium
Thank you for your message and please excuse the brievety of my response on the road here. I think you should achieve your goal by enabling L3 routing on a VLAN IP interface instead of a physical LAG interface. This should be the standard as LAG are meant to be trunks carrying multiple VLANs.

I hope it can help
Regards
Message 4 of 5
swbelgium
Aspirant

Hi Laurent,

no problem.

well, that could work if and only if we could somehow make the vlan interface go down if the LACP interface is down.
Otherwise the route would remain up even if the next-hop on the other side of the LAG is unreachable (or am I missing something?).

r,

Sam

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements