× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Linking two linux machines together. Do I need LAG or no LAG configuration on Netgear switch?

milp
Tutor

Linking two linux machines together. Do I need LAG or no LAG configuration on Netgear switch?

I'm a bit unsure on if and how I should configure an LAG.

Scenario:

I have two linux machines (names "linuxA" and "linuxB", hardware supermicro, OS CentOS 😎 linked together via direct cable in a linux-only LAG. The LAG, made up of a fiber port (p8) and a copper port (p6) from each linux machine is working fine and is reliable. 

• linuxA(p8) <-- FO link --> linuxB(p8)
  • linuxA(p6) <-- copper link --> linuxB(p6)

• linuxA-bond0(p6,p8)   (this equals the LAG on machine linuxA)
  • linuxB-bond0(p6,p8)   (this equals the LAG on machine linuxB)

There are some upcoming architecture changes and I now need to and put a netgear switch in between the two linux machines.

• linuxA(p8) <--> switch <--> linuxB(p8)
  • linuxA(p6) <--> switch <--> linuxB(p6)

The switch is a stack of a M4300-12X12F and a M4300-24X. 

• linuxA(p8) <--> 1/0/3 switch 1/0/5 <--> linuxB(p8)
  • linuxA(p6) <--> 2/0/3 switch 2/0/5 <--> linuxB(p6)

1/0/3, 1/0/5,  2/0/3 and 2/0/5 are in a completely separate VLAN which is not connected to anything else.

Now my question(s):

• Do I have to create a LAG with for 1/0/3 and 2/0/3 ?
  • Do I have to create a LAG with for 1/0/5 and 2/0/5 ?
  • If yes, what kind of LAG hash mode do I need to choose?
  • The linux bond mentions LACP rate slow.  I guess I would have to configure that too on the switch, but I did not find where i could do that.

Thanks for any hint.

Dan

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Linking two linux machines together. Do I need LAG or no LAG configuration on Netgear switch?

The mentioned slow LACP Rate does set how how fast the bonded interfaces should transmit LACPDU packets. The default is every 30 seconds, characterized by the lacp_rate value of "0" or "slow", or every second, characterized by the lacp_rate value of "1" or "fast". This has no impact on the possible bonding link (LACP) performance.

Message 2 of 3
milp
Tutor

Re: Linking two linux machines together. Do I need LAG or no LAG configuration on Netgear switch?

Thanks @schumaku , I know what LACP rate is (frequency of LACP PDU updates sent via the link) and that it has nothing to do with the LAG speed. I was just interested where to configure this on a Netgear. 

Apparently it only works by CLI and setting "lacp_rate". Thanks for the hint.

Any idea on the other questions?

Thanks

Dan

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements