× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for the right combo 2.5gbps with M4300

boed
Aspirant

Looking for the right combo 2.5gbps with M4300

Hello,

I typically get the 3300 POE Plus but they are impossible to get right now.   I'm looking for something similar but also need 2.5gbps to my wireless routers.   The 9600 is insanely expensive so that is out of the question.

Any suggestion?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Looking for the right combo 2.5gbps with M4300

Hi

First I suggest you ask your self if you really need 2.5 Gbit today. I get, that you want it when your APs can do it, but the per price per port is still quite a bit higher compared to 1G. And not always you can actually make good use of it ... _yet_. If you really want a "small-ish" amount of 2.5G Ports, you might be able to fill that gap with the M4300-16X. I guess that's why Netgear has released that product asn an in-between between the 24/48 Port 1U M4300s and the big M4300-96X at the top.

One thing I'm not that particularly fond of however, is the complete lack of slots (SFP*/QSFP*) for any optical connections to a backbone over fibre if I got this right.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Hi

First I suggest you ask your self if you really need 2.5 Gbit today. I get, that you want it when your APs can do it, but the per price per port is still quite a bit higher compared to 1G. And not always you can actually make good use of it ... _yet_. If you really want a "small-ish" amount of 2.5G Ports, you might be able to fill that gap with the M4300-16X. I guess that's why Netgear has released that product asn an in-between between the 24/48 Port 1U M4300s and the big M4300-96X at the top.

One thing I'm not that particularly fond of however, is the complete lack of slots (SFP*/QSFP*) for any optical connections to a backbone over fibre if I got this right.

Message 2 of 5
boed
Aspirant

Thanks the M4300-16X confuses me - it says multigigabit but if you look at specs it only says 1 or 10g no 2.5g

Message 3 of 5
msi
Luminary
Luminary

While I don't have access to M4300-16X's, check out the datasheet:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/M4300.pdf

For this model it says:
"16-port 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10GBASE-T with PoE+ (copper RJ45)"

Keep an eye on the specific SKU where the included the power supply does make a difference. The XSM4316PB has 500W PoE (~ 16 fully PoE+ @ 30W) budget, the XSM4316PA has 199W (~ 6 fully PoE+ @ 30W). The switches are otherwise identical, only the included PSU differs.

Based on my experience with other PoE-capable M4300's, you can "upgrade" a A SKU later by installing the larger APS600W PSU after the initial purchase, should the need arise. The price difference isn't "that huge", but it can add if you have several of them and have locations where you actually don't need a lot fo PoE ports, i.e. if most devices connected are server, workstations.

Message 4 of 5
boed
Aspirant

Thanks!  I saw one just like that that listed it at 1 and 10 – no 2.5 – interesting.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements