× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4100-D12G Managed Switch Bridged Pair with 3 subnets

Budgie4
Tutor

M4100-D12G Managed Switch Bridged Pair with 3 subnets

Hi, I have 2 of the captioned switches working over a bridge link with Vlan trunking of 3 subnets. 

All work well but, to date and for WiFi I have used a separate WiFi AP connected to the subnet port on the far side of the bridge.  I now need to use different SSIDs for each subnet working on the same AP.  The AP has the vlan capability but how do I connect all the subnets to the one AP?  Do I connect to the trunk traffic or should I set up the vlan configuration differently and how does DHCP work when all different AP clients require an IP from the respective subnets DHCP.

I hope this is clear and that you can help. 

Model: M4100-12G-POE+ (GSM7212P)|ProSAFE Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: M4100-D12G Managed Switch Bridged Pair with 3 subnets

Typical solution is having dedicated VLANs for each IP subnet, and configure a VLAN trunk for the connection to the undefind Wireless AP, either run the primary VLAN and/or management VLAN [U]natgged and all other VLAN [T]agged, or configure all VLANs [T]agged.

Message 2 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

Typical solution is having dedicated VLANs for each IP subnet, and configure a VLAN trunk for the connection to the undefind Wireless AP, either run the primary VLAN and/or management VLAN [U]natgged and all other VLAN [T]agged, or configure all VLANs [T]agged.

Hi and thanks for the reply.  I already subnets and vlan trunking in place across the bridge with three subnets from the router vlanned into one M4100 to combine and serve the trunk connection and with the second M4100 receiving the trunk connection and splitting this to serve the three subnets at the far end.  The required AP is on the far end of the trunk.  I have two ports available and unconfigured on the switches.  Can I arrange for one of the spare ports on the far end M4100 to be a copy of the trunk connection?  Not sure if I am right and how may I proceed?  Is there an example I can follow please? 

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

No copy or the like, the port for the AP must be configured as per your VLANs, and so does the AP. The AP does connect to a port configured similar to the trunking port, and the AP itself is configured like a trunking devices, too. The SSID<->VLAN association must be done on the wireless access point. The only thing you have to figure out is the AP configuration for the management VLAN, e.g. for UniFi it's untagged.

x

Message 4 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

Hi and thanks, getting there but...

I now have each AP being able to connect but this takes me straight to the internet and I cannot see the devices on the subnets themselves.

I have set up another port for the AP on the switch which is configured in the same way as the bridge trunk connections and the APs all have the appropriate Vlan and SSID set up. 

Unfortunately I can no longer access the AP or the switches so I am lost with the device management.  Is there a simple persons guide to how the management configuration should be setup as I have the same issues on firewall router and will have on all the other devices soon. 

Message 5 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

I have it now thanks setting up a trunk for the port which feeds the AP. Will do this for all the rest.

I did have a problem with the AP devices as L2 isolation had been set on all SSIDs.  My mistake but will nead to read up on configuring management VLan correctly for all devices so I can connect to all of them, switches, APs and Router.  

Is the correct practice to set up a management subnet and putting all devices to have static IPs on that subnet?  

Your guidancemuch appreciated, thanks again,

Budgie4

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements