× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4100 Ports 1&2

onyangodt
Aspirant

M4100 Ports 1&2

Greetings, 

I have recently procured gsm5212p switch and was wondering if it's possible to use the first two ports as regular ports instead of PD ports? is there a configuration that we can use so that they become regular PoE ports or uplink ports ( not powered by POE ) ? I lose two ports because I can't use them as for anything else aside from redundant power or powering the switch itself off another. 

Model: M4100-D12G-POE+ (GSM5212Pv1h2)|ProSafe 12 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi onyangodt,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

You can either enable or disable the ability of ports 1 & 2 to deliver power.  As reference, kindly read pages 80-83 of the M4100 Series Managed Switch user manual here about PoE Port Configuration.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
onyangodt
Aspirant

Greetings, 

I have read through those pages before and I still don't see where I can turn ports 1 & 2 into regular ports. I want to be able to hook them up to a computer or other POE device instead of using them to power the switch. I essentially have two unused ports that Id like to use for something other than to power the switch. 

Model: M4100-D12G-POE+ (GSM5212Pv1h2)|ProSafe 12 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 3 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@onyangodt,

If ports 1 & 2 of the M4100-D12G-POE+ (GSM5212P) switch is not connected to a PSE (Power Sourcing Equipment) switch and you want it to use it as regular port to connect devices such as PCs, kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is there an error message that appears if you will just use ports 1 & 2 as regular ports?  

b. What is the behavior of the port 1 LED light  as well as port 2 LED light if you are just using it as regular port? 

c. If you will connect a PC to either port 1 or port 2, does it have a connection within the LAN?

d. What is the current firmware version of the M4100-D12G-POE+ (GSM5212P) switch you have?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
onyangodt
Aspirant

I was wondering if we could use ports 1&2 as PoE ports. Having gone through the configuraitons and reading more about it, I can use them as regular ports. I was just wondering if there is a way to use them as PoE ports. I have the latest firmware on the switch and only one LED is on which indicates its communicating with the PC. 

Message 5 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@onyangodt

I'm glad to know that you can use ports 1 & 2 of your M4100-D12G-POE+ (GSM5212P) switch as regular ports.  Moving on to your concern this time, have you tried connecting a powered device (PD) like an access point to either ports 1 & 2 and check if the access point turns on? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@onyangodt

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try connecting a powered device (PD) like an access point to either ports 1 & 2 and check if the access point turns on?   If yes, what are your observations?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
onyangodt
Aspirant

@DaneA You can use the ports 1&2 as regular ports for a workstation or a device that does not require or is powered by PoE. I have yet to see a setting where you can change it so that you can use ports 1&2 to power PoE Devices.I plugged in an access point as well as an IP PoE phone and they wouldnt power on. Ports 1&2 will however power the switch off a nother poe switch and can act as a reduntdant power supply. The first two ports work great with workstations and you can configure them for radius access an muchmuch more. 

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@onyangodt,

I inquired your concern about ports 1 & 2 of the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch to a higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, ports 1 & 2 of the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch cannot be used to provide power to PoE devices such as access points and IP phones.  Thus, ports 1 & 2 of the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch can either be used as:

a. regular ports 

b. power on the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch via a PSE (Power Sourcing Equipment) switch

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@onyangodt

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements