× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4100 ports full. Can I connect to an HP1910 which is available here

Budgie4
Tutor

M4100 ports full. Can I connect to an HP1910 which is available here

Have been making good progress with a pair of M4100 switches thanks to help from this forum.  So much so that I have now run out of available ports on one device and need more capacity.  To buy another switch is quite a big cost given the Covid crisis and I already have a spare HP1910 switch with PoE capability which would be ideal for connecting the wifi APs I am using.  This would free up ports on the M4100 as needed.

I was all set to configure 5 trunk ports for the APs on the HP1910 as I have done with M4100 but now find, having learned a little about Netgear switches, that HP use different terminology and underlying function, so I am really needing help connecting these two devices and moving the APs to the new switch.   I appreciate this is a big ask from a Netgear forum but it has been great so far and I am just hoping somebody can help me here. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: M4100 ports full. Can I connect to an HP1910 which is available here

@Budgie4,

You just need to assign the uplink from the HP going to the M4100 as T for the VLANs that need to be connected. 

e.g.

Uplink Port 1 - VLAN 1,10,20 - T PVID 1

Just make sure that the cable going to the port of the HP is also assigned as Trunk on the said VLANs.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Budgie4,

It will really depend on how you configure the M4100 switch. Basically, you just need to configure the correct VLANs in order for it to communicate with other switches. Just make sure that the ports are properly tagged and untagged in order for it to work properly.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Budgie4
Tutor

Hi and thanks for the reply.  My problem is that I have used all available ports on the M4100 after adding WAPs.  These are configured as Trunk ports.  What I want to do is move all the WAPs to the HP switch which has PoE.  I am seeking advice on how to configure the two switches so they are bridged together.  I hope then to move the WAPs to the HP. 

My problem is that HP use a different definition of Trunk port from Netgear and I am not sure if I need to configure a Trunk port as defined by HP for the bridge connection or how I should configure the ports for the WAPs on the HP. 

I appreciate this is a bit OT and I am very new to this subject so some guidance for a novice would be appreciated please.

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Budgie4,

You just need to assign the uplink from the HP going to the M4100 as T for the VLANs that need to be connected. 

e.g.

Uplink Port 1 - VLAN 1,10,20 - T PVID 1

Just make sure that the cable going to the port of the HP is also assigned as Trunk on the said VLANs.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements