× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: M4300 24X: sudden restarts

koralle
Aspirant

M4300 24X: sudden restarts

Hi,

i have since months sudden restarts with a M4300-24X (Firmware 12.0.9.3) in a single router setup.

I use mostly LAGs with 2 ports for every system (Layer3+4 mode) and has disabled the most default enabled Layer 3 functions (only RIP receiving on 2 IP Interface are enabled ).

From the beginning the switch restarted between 2 and 6 weeks. There are no significant logs before or during the problem. The only message about the sudden restart is during booting:

<9> Jan  1 00:01:18 0.0.0.0-1 SIM[Cnfgr_Thread ]: sim_util.c(3927) 10 %% Switch was reset due to power disruption or unexpected restart.

It seems to me, that without all the default settings the switch is running more stable.

The Netgear support, which i've connected, hasn't helped me and had ignored my problem.

Has anybody similiar problems ? I've seen also a similiar case under M4300-24x: spontaneous reboots dispite latest firmware .

Best Regards,

Ralf

Model: XSM4324CS|M4300-24X - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10GBASE-T
Message 1 of 21
schumaku
Guru

Re: M4300 24X: sudden restarts

@LaurentMa please.

Message 2 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Hi,

i've updated today to firmware version 12.0.9.4. Maybe the mentioned bugfix

"Switches in a stack setup randomly reboot 1 to 2 times per month." helps in my single switch setup.

Because i don't see anything i can change in my simple setup, i think it must be a hardware problem or an instable firmware for a LACP-LAG setup.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 3 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @koralle 

Thank you for your message and sorry for your issue. Yes, it is good that you have upgraded to latest 12.0.9.4 and it is possible that your issue gets fixed. M4300 is a stackable product line, standalone switches are part of a stack of "one unit" so please let us know how it goes. The M4300 series is our top of the line and no intempestive reboot should be observed even with the most complex configuration.

In the meantime, please send me by Private Message your case number (or ticket issue) with our Tech-Support, so that I can explore what happened and get back to you about it. Thank you for reporting the problem.

Of course if the problem reoccurs, we will collect the tech-support file out of the switch and get to a prompt resolution. 

Regards,

Message 4 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Hi,

the switch has restarted after 2-3 days uptime after the reboot for the new firmware. The new firmware 12.0.9.4 has no positive effect.

The CPLD-Update from the Netgear Support has also no effect (no higher fan speed, which should be the result with this update). In my opinion was this CPLD-patch already included in the firmware (12.0.9.3) because the CPLD Version hasn't changed from 0x5.

Again no crash-log and only booting messages on the debug console with a cold start message.

I will try to replace this switch and hope that the next switch is more stable.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 5 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Hi,

again after 8 hours a spontaneous reboot. Crazy !

The Netgear Support is making trouble and requests a credit card number before sending a new switch.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 6 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

i have the same issue in a Stack mode with 2 m4300-x24...

reboots after 10-15 days and 1 reboot after 18 hours.

This is not acceptable for an enterprise product.

Netgear fixes the bug !!!

Message 7 of 21
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi @wuebra ,

Could you please privode the tech support file to me? i will try re-created the issue and it will be helpful to find out the issue root cause .

How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-community-moderators 

Thank you

Message 8 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Hi,

in my case there was a progress: Because of the unsolvable problem with the Netgear support to get a replacement switch we replaced only the power supply and immediately both fans (also the chassis fan!) have almost double speed. This is decreasing the sensor/chassis temperature from 65 °C to a constant level of 54-55 °C . It seems that the max. specified temperature of 81 °C is far too high and the switch is already starting to be instable at a level of 65 °C, especially if the temperature is constant at this level.

The chassis temperature in our setup is mainly depending of the number of connected ports. We have now 18 ports (16 ports with 1GbE and 2 with 10GbE) connected and will use 4 more ports (10GbE) in the next months. I hope that this will work with this switch and its "suboptimal"  ventilation design for a Base T switch: the M4300-24X is too compact/dense with the half-width and one rear exhaust fan is not optimal/enough for this long chassis depth.

It seems after 11 days uptime that the instability of my switch was mainly (hopefully) caused by the faulty power supply related to the fan control.

But otherwise it could be worth to look carefully over the default configuration settings and disable the unnecessary functions to isolate the problem.

I hope for all customers of this M4300 switch series that also the "software" problems will soon be solved, because the release notes of the firmware updates and some threads in this community forum (it's a pitty that sometimes a conclusion is missing if the case was taken over from the Netgear support) are describing instability problems in various types during the last years.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 9 of 21
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi @koralle 

Thanks for your feedback.Please continue to see how it works, and if you encounter any questions, please feel free to ask

Thank you

Message 10 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

My temperatures at 3 units. I also think that these are way too high! The server room is at 19 degrees, but the switches don't get cooler. There are 2 U space above and below and the cabinets are completely cooled + MAC 65 ℃ (Unit1) 63 ℃ (Unit2) 43 ℃ (Unit3) Maximum operating temperature 81 ℃ (Unit1) 81 ℃ (Unit2) 83 ℃ (Unit3)
Message 11 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Dear wuebra,

as i see in your former comment, you have also unexpected restarts probably without significant log messages. Do the number of connected ports differ between your 3 units and cause the temperature differences ? 

Do you see only restarts with unit 1 and 2, which have the higher temperatures, and no restart on unit 3 ?

From my experience my unit was instable at 65 "C and at the end before the power supply replacement only the additional connected serviceport caused restarts every day.

It's interesting for me, that another power supply has changed the fan control behaviour.

The Netgear support has also a CPLD patch, which should increase the fan speeds.

Can you give the output of "show environment" of your units.

Here is my situation with the replaced power supply:

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (C)    State           Max_Temp (C)
----     ------  ----------------  ----------  --------------  --------------
1        1       MAC               53          Normal          81
Fans:
Unit Fan Description    Type      Speed         Duty level    State
---- --- -------------- --------- ------------- ------------- --------------
1    1   Fan-1          Fixed     5280          27%           Operational
1    2   Fan-2          Fixed     4440          27%           Operational

For now it is stable with this temperature between 53 and 55 "C.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 12 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

hello koralle / Ralf,

are you German? the name sounds like this 🙂

So far unit 2 has mostly restarted. And the syslog was connected to Unit 2 :(. 1x restarted everything.

Unit 3 has only been connected for 1 week. For failover.

The support offered me a CLPD patch. I can only install it outside of business hours.

here is my environment.

Unfortunately I have a lot less fan revolutions 😞

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (C)    State           Max_Temp (C)
----     ------  ----------------  ----------  --------------  --------------
1        1       MAC               64          Normal          81
2        1       MAC               63          Normal          81
3        1       MAC               43          Normal          83
3        2       System            52          Normal          83

Fans:
Unit Fan Description    Type      Speed         Duty level    State
---- --- -------------- --------- ------------- ------------- --------------
1    1   Fan-1          Fixed     3240          16%           Operational
1    2   Fan-2          Fixed     2880          16%           Operational
2    1   Fan-1          Fixed     3240          16%           Operational
2    2   Fan-2          Fixed     2880          16%           Operational
3    1   Fan-1          Fixed     3240          16%           Operational
3    2   Fan-2          Fixed     2760          16%           Operational

Message 13 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Dear wuebra,

the fan speeds/duty level of your units are at the same level, which i've had with the "faulty" power supply.

The CPLD Patch (dev cpldUpdate(/media/usb-storage/XSM4324CS_V00_111419.jbc,0); ), which the Netgear Support has given to me, could be applied without reboot or disruption.

But this patch hasn't helped much, but maybe you had another patch.

I would predict, that your units 1 and 2 would be stable, if you had the suitable fan speeds.

Netgear should explain, how the fan control is working and why a power supply is controlling the speeds.

Best Regards,

Ralf

PS: I'm german 😉

Message 14 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

So far I do not have the patch because I can only apply it at the weekend (when restarting).

here is a production with 800 employees.

Unless it works without a restart.

I have now asked the support if you can simply exchange the power supplies for us ..... reboots are unacceptable ..

ps .: ok ... me too 🙂 Glückauf Ralf;)

Message 15 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Dear wuebra,

from my experience with the CPLD Patch XSM4324CS_V00_111419.jbc, which has only increased the speed of one of the two fans by 100-200 RPM, i would recommend the replacement of the power supplies, even it is unclear, why some power supplies cause such a fan control problem.

Good Luck!

Best Regards,

Ralf

PS: Beste Grüße aus dem sonnigen Baden !

Message 16 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

@kevin_hong wrote:

Hi @wuebra ,

Could you please privode the tech support file to me? i will try re-created the issue and it will be helpful to find out the issue root cause .

How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-community-moderators 

Thank you

What kind of crap does support take off?

The support simply closed my case!

The switch restarted tonight. Syslog logs are available

Message 17 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

suddenly nobody says anything!

The support blames each other.

The fact is: I have 3 switches, 2 of them are broken (6000 €) and I don't have a CPLD patch either

Message 18 of 21
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @wuebra and the Community

Please be sure that the NETGEAR Tech Support team, the NETGEAR Engineering team and the PLM team are working on these issues. To date, most cases logged in our system are resolved after PSU replacement. We are in the process of getting all faulty PSUs back to Engineering for complete analysis (root causing) so that actions can be taken at the factory as we suspect faulty PSUs. Please understand that there is no correlation between the fan speed, the internal components heat and the reboot in all your posts above. The fans are on duty "dynamically", based on internal heat sensors. The CPLD function is to make sure the heat remains under the system MAX thresholds. The CPLD is increasing fan speed when the temperature of the internal components is getting closer to the MAX threshold. In all your explained situations above, this is not what triggers a reboot. By design, the system is shutting down when and only when the internal sensors are reporting internal heat at or above the MAX threshold.

@wuebra is your case number finishing with 181? For that case we replaced two switches under RMA and the NETGEAR Tech Support agents don't get responses anymore since then. 

In any case please send me your Tech Support case nuber so that I can help prioritize your issue. As we can't replicate the issue with our own devices in our labs, we are depending on close collaboration on site for exporting the logs etc. You can send me your case number or any help request using private message here. 

We are very sorry for this reboot issue on that model, litterally thousands units of that model are working well in the field and I know how the frustration can be when one unit is rebooting intermittently. We shall resolve this issue, I can guarantee! Again, please send me your Case Numbers.

Regards,

Message 19 of 21
koralle
Aspirant

Dear @LaurentMa ,

we (Community) don't know the root cause, but the faulty PSUs are keeping the units on a higher temperature level. We don't know if this higher temperature are responsible for a reboot, but from the techsupport files it is the only sign, which is significantly different with a "good" and a "faulty" PSU. So your statement "no correlation between the fan speed, the internal components heat and the reboot in all your posts above is ignoring the visible signs, but maybe you know more about the root cause.

Best Regards,

Ralf

Message 20 of 21
wuebra
Aspirant

Hi @LaurentMa 

I don't care what the problem is there. But I want this to be fixed! An important production of over 1000 employees is attached to it!

And it cannot be that 2 units are 70 degrees and the 3rd unit is only 45, even though they are stacked in a rack.

The worst thing is the support.

Here is my process

1st opening case 42391590
2. Support says CLPD Patch has to be imported
3. Call support to apply the patch
4. Support refuses to apply the patch and closes the ticket without a solution !!!!!!!!!!!
5. Opening case 42429694 & 42429695
6. Support would like to invoice and exchange the devices
7. Support suddenly wants to import a patch again
8. Support does not want to replace the devices

Sorry, don't take it personally, but what the heck is that?

I have already sent all tech files and syslog files 3 times. Nobody cares!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements