× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300-28G-PoE+ & Tivo

jdf12
Initiate

M4300-28G-PoE+ & Tivo

Greetings -

We just upgraded from a M4100 to the M4300 (GSM4328PB), flashed the latest firmware on the 4300 to 12.0.2.20.

We have a Tivo Bolt and a number of Tivo Mini Vox 4K's at our facility, all connected to the same network switch.   The Mini's all connect to the Bolt for their tuners and to access the Bolt's disk via ethernet.   It all worked fine before the upgrade, but now the Mini's cannot see the Bolt (tried swapping in the old switch, and it still works fine.)

I have read that Tivo wants to broadcast on all ports, and is "chatty" which isn't a problem, but I cannot seem to figure out the combination of settings on the 4300 that allows the Tivo's to talk to one another.   Odd that this fails on the 4300 but not the 4100?    I have IGMP snopping turned off on the 4300, still doesn't work.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Jon

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
jdf12
Initiate

Thanks to Laurent's help we solved the problem.   Great support and incredibly responsive.  

For future reference and for anyone coming across this thread - for Tivo to work across an M4300 you need to disable IGMP snooping and MLD snooping.   Tivo, like a lot of consumer IOT devices, assumes a flat, "stupid" network for discovery.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jon

Thank you for your message and congratulations, M4300 series is NETGEAR top of the line and a great upgrade from M4100 series.

Yes, all M4300 switches come with Layer 2 Multicast pre-configured (IGMP Snooping, Querier and Fast Leave enabled across entire VLAN 1) for convenient Video-over-IP deployments. As a founding member of the SDVoE Alliance, NETGEAR provides the backbone network that makes it all possible.

If your Tivo installation was working fine on a previous M4100 switch, we need to check two things:

1. Is the IGMP configuration the problem?
  2. Was there any other required configuration on the M4100? 

The Community can help you figure out. We should start with 1/ and "un-do" the L2 Multicast configuration in this order:

• Using the Web GUI for instance, Switching \ IGMP Snooping \ Querier VLAN Configuration: delete the line "VLAN ID 1 - Querier Mode Enable - Querier VLAN Address 0.0.0.0"
  • Switching \ IGMP Snooping \ Querier Configuration: set "Disable" for "Querier Admin Mode"
  • Switching \ IGMP Snooping \ IGMP VLAN Configuration: delete the line "VLAN ID 1 - Admin Mode Enable - Fast Leave Admin Mode Enable"
  • Switching \ IGMP Snooping \ Configuration: set "Disable" for "Admin Mode" and for "Validate IGMP IP header
  • Maintenance \ Save Config: check the box "Saving all applied changes" and click APPLY on the bottom right 

Please let us know how it goes after this, as a first step. Thank you!

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
jdf123
Aspirant

First, thanks for the help!

On my M4300, I did everything you suggested, a few small differences:

IGMP VLAN Configurator: cannot delete the VLAN so set all options to Disable.

IGMP Snooping Configuration:  all 3 options (Admin/Validate/Proxy) to Disable.

Unfortunately, still doesn't work.    And again to test, I plugged everything together with a small, dumb switch, works fine.   I also looked at the M4100 options, nothing jumped out as being different.

Thanks again - Jon

Message 3 of 7
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jon, thank you and sorry about the inconvenience. We need to root cause this behavior.

I am suspecting the problem comes from default unregistered Multicast filtering (the switch filters / discards any unregistered Multicast flooding by default).

I see several options / workaround here, but let me check internally before asking you anything. We'll be back in this thread asap.

Regards, 

Message 4 of 7
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jon

There must be IGMP snooping still going on that is preventing TIVO required "flooding". I am sorry about that, but we will need your tech-support file for further troubleshooting on our side. Can you export this file from the switch and send it to me using Private Message?

Please refer to this KB for exporting the tech-support file: 

1. Log in to the command line interface of the switch and from enable mode run the command show tech-support
  2. Using GUI/Web interface, go to Maintenance - Upload / Export - HTTP File Upload / HTTP File Export.
  3. In the File Type drop-down menu, choose Tech Support and click Apply.

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
jdf12
Initiate

Thanks to Laurent's help we solved the problem.   Great support and incredibly responsive.  

For future reference and for anyone coming across this thread - for Tivo to work across an M4300 you need to disable IGMP snooping and MLD snooping.   Tivo, like a lot of consumer IOT devices, assumes a flat, "stupid" network for discovery.

Message 6 of 7
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for all of your collaboration during the troubleshooting. We have learned something and this will be very useful for the Community.

M4300 models are NETGEAR top-of-the-line 1G, 10G and 40G switches with stacking and NSF (non-stop forwarding). Main applications include server and storage interconnect, convergent access layer and SMB core. But, Pro-AV is another core application for M4300s. These switches come with pre-configured L2 multicast and this is unique in the market, because it streamlines audiovisual deployments: video-over-IP endpoints largely rely on IGMP Snooping, Querier, Fast Leave etc. for transporting video streams over Ethernet networks. As a Founding Member of the SDVoE Alliance, NETGEAR commits to the SDVoE standard and all Pro-AV alliance members can leverage M4300 switching products that are easy to set up and use to provide the backbone network for their audio-video products.

Thanks to you, Jon, we discovered that IGMP and MLD Snooping features that are enabled by default in M4300 models, interfere with Tivo "consumer-grade" solutions that are not IGMP compliant. 

Here are the necessary steps for removing IGMP and MLD preconfigured features from M4300:

• Using the Web GUI for instance, Switching \ Multicast \ IGMP Snooping \ Querier VLAN Configuration: delete the line "VLAN ID 1 - Querier Mode Enable - Querier VLAN Address 0.0.0.0"
  • Switching \ Multicast \ IGMP Snooping \ Querier Configuration: set "Disable" for "Querier Admin Mode"
  • Switching \ Multicast \ IGMP Snooping \ IGMP VLAN Configuration: delete the line "VLAN ID 1 - Admin Mode Enable - Fast Leave Admin Mode Enable etc."
  • Switching \ Multicast \ IGMP Snooping \ Configuration: set "Disable" for "Admin Mode" and for "Validate IGMP IP header"
  • Switching \ Multicast \ MLD Snooping \ Configuration: set "Disable" for "Admin Mode" and for "Proxy Querier Mode
  • Switching \ Multicast \ MLD Snooping \ MLD VLAN Configuration: delete the line "VLAN ID 1 - Fast Leave Admin Mode Enable etc."
  • Maintenance \ Save Config: check the box "Saving all applied changes" and click APPLY at the bottom right 

Thanks again, Jon!

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements