× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300-48X Running Temperature high

jpass022
Luminary

M4300-48X Running Temperature high

I have a switch stack with the M4300-52G on top aand the 2 M4300-48X underneath. The M4300-52G operating temperature is 54C (stated max. in GUI is 90C). I can fell the air exhausting from the fans on the M4300-52G. Both M4300-48Xs have an operating temperature of 73C (stated max. in GUI is 75C). The case fans are running so slow that I can't fell air exhausting from the case and the fans on the PSUs are running. Is this normal for these switches? I would expect the M4300-48Xs to operate at a similar temperature as the M4300-52G. Plus the fans on the M4300-48Xs are operating way slower air flow wise than the M4300-52G. I hope someone has some ideas? Firmware on all 3 is - 12.0.7.15, B1.0.0.11 .

Model: GSM4352S|M4300-52G - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3, XSM4348CS|M4300-48X - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x10GBASE-T
Message 1 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

I am also amazed after going through the 1147 page CLI manual for the M4300-48X that this switch does not have user selectable cooling profiles the sames as my ReadyNASs do.

Message 2 of 23
schumaku
Guru

I don't think that's normal - open a support ticket via https://my.netgear.com/

@jpass022 wrote:

I am also amazed after going through the 1147 page CLI manual for the M4300-48X that this switch does not have user selectable cooling profiles the sames as my ReadyNASs do.

Network switches are - different from some (typically desktop) NAS - not operated in noise sensitive areas, and are configured to the best cooling possible. For some (smaller)  M4300 models the fan algorithm was changed with a recent update towards non-rotating fans at lower to average temperatures, don't think this should apply to your versions.

Message 3 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

I have opened a ticket, but no real help yet. I've done more testing in to the problem and the fans on the netgear labeled PSUs don't turn on when the swirch is powered up. But I happen to have a non-Netgear labeled compatible PSU that I installed to test how it reacts and the non-Netgear labeled PSU fan does operate when powered up. So I'm still dazed and confused that my new high end and expensive switches are having such basic issues with no quick solution as of yet. I also own Netgear's high end rack NASs and at least they have user selectable cooling profiles built in the firmware. I'm very disappointed so far, but hoping for better from Netgear...

Message 4 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@jpass022 wrote:

I've done more testing in to the problem and the fans on the netgear labeled PSUs don't turn on when the swirch is powered up. But I happen to have a non-Netgear labeled compatible PSU that I installed to test how it reacts and the non-Netgear labeled PSU fan does operate when powered up.

The PSU fan on the M4300 I have at hand here does spin-up when power is applied - something is wring there.

@jpass022 wrote:

I also own Netgear's high end rack NASs and at least they have user selectable cooling profiles built in the firmware. I'm very disappointed so far, but hoping for better from Netgear...

Forget this part, in the switch world there is no such control - and on ReadyNAS it's a feature that came from the small desktop systems as part of the software and feature standardisation. In a dense rack config, and with average to high NAS usage, you won't have much of a choice - as the adjacent boxes will bring a lot of heat, too.

@LaurentMa  do you have an idea what is going wrong there with the OPs M4300?

Message 5 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Just to show you I'm not talking crazy, the attached photo is a ReadyNAS 4312X, a rack mounted Datacenter grade NAS. Not a Desktop Unit... I included the drives in the photo so you know this isn't a desktop unit.

Message 6 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Hey I'm perfectly aware - as I said, thuis is a desktop consumer feature carried forward while scale-up REadyNAS OS 6 to bigger rack mounted platform. That's why it's in place. Not because e.g. the Netgear switches are coming with such a feature.

Message 7 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Your point is taken, I am being vocal hoping someone at Netgear will listen. If I was able to decompile the firmware, modify the fan speed code, and recompile. I'd do that and make a post for people on how to do that if they were having the same trouble as me. But that's not an option, plus I've only owned these a week and for whatever reason, Netgear is very slow to respond to my issue. Plus I have to see this post :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/Support-for-the-10gbs-M4300-Switches-is-Impressive...

Which so far is smoke and mirrors for me. I'm just wanting a solution so I can get these nice switches in operation.

Message 8 of 23
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @jpass022 

Thank you for all your messages. I am sorry that you encountered an issue with a power supply unit with no fans apparently working. NETGEAR M4300 switches have a functional fail rate that is extremely low as we are striving for maximum quality, but a defect can happen during transport etc. You followed the right process by opening a ticket at NETGEAR Technical Support, as your problem will be assessed and you are entitled to a lifetime next-business-day replacement for any hardware defect like that. 

Your ideas about firmware are great, but for your information, fan speeds aren't controlled by a software image in a switch firmware, this is not a PC motherboard. Again, if your PSU is defect, we shall replace it.

Please send me your ticket (case number) by private message so that I can see why you say that NETGEAR is slow to respond to you. This forum is a Community forum only, hence it is important to log a case at NETGEAR Technical Support when there is a technical issue.

Regards,

Message 9 of 23
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi John

thank you, I have escalated your case, a Technical Support agent will contact you.

Laurent Masia

Message 10 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Thanks for your assistance, waiting to hear back from Engineering on my fan speed issue...

Message 11 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Another week goes by with no response...

Message 12 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Greetings,

Found these other cases in forum that were fan/firmware related:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/M4300-8X8F-Latest-firmware-12-0-7-15-cause-fan-lig...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-Click-Switches/Higher-Fan-speed-after-firmware-upgrade-t...

We didn't intentionally raise fan speeds and lower operating temperature in recent 6.6.1.x firmware for our XS708T/XS716T 10G Smart Managed Switches, versus 6.6.0.x before. With latest firmware, we don't show such modification either in our labs: fan speed remains the same. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Managed-Switches/After-Upgrade-of-M4300-8x8f-fans-stop-Working/m-p/...

This is all normal, let me explain what is happening. After 12.0.7.12 (latest M4300 family software upgrade), the M4300-8X8F is shutting down its main fans when the ambiant temperature is under 25 degrees Celsius (77 Fahrenheit). As soon as the ambiant temperature gets warmer, fans will start again, as usual. 

Maybe I'n using the wrong word, maybe I should be daying 'Software' instead of 'Firmware"?

Message 13 of 23
schumaku
Guru

The unlucky half-finished 12.0.7.12 specs change for the 8X8F should not affect your models.

And there is just one owner with a XS708T/XS716T  6.6.1.x firmware - which does not have any change in the fan speed tables - reporting a louder switch. Completely unrelated. 

Message 14 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Thanks for the info. The point I was eluding to is that I was told the fans aren't regulated by software. But these cases are indicating that software does control fan speed....

Message 15 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

sorry, I meant alluding, not eluding . Smiley Happy I just want to use these expensive and great switches I bought without having to worry about the burning up because the power supply fans aren't running at all and the case fans are barely running. My M4300-52G fan speeds are perfect and temperature is great. I'm just wanting the same performance fron my 2 M4300-48X switches. If I can get this problem resolved, I plan on buying more M4300s.

Message 16 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Mistaken. The modular power supply (or supplies) fans are temperature controlled only, not firmware/software controls. The switch fan(s) are firmware/software controlled up to some degree.

Message 17 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Shumaku,

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you. I'm learning alot from your comments.Smiley Happy

Another question, why would a 450W PSU in the M4300-48X have a proper fan speed, as compared to my M4300-52G and none of 4 250W PSUs have any fan speed in the M4300-48X? 

Also, why would the M4300-48X case fan speed be slower than the M4300-52G fan speed? They are Stacked and all running the same 12.0.7.15 software?

Message 18 of 23
schumaku
Guru

For the modular power supplies, I can only assume that the fans are temperature and/or load controlled. The few M4300 we're operating are on the hot top of racks, so there is high fan activity - simply becaue of the high temperatures around. 

Has nobody from Netgear established a contact with you?

Message 19 of 23
jpass022
Luminary

Yes, they asked for logs and a few questions 2 weeks ago. No answers yet...

Message 20 of 23
bzt
Tutor
Tutor

I'm looking at buying into Netgear, and a M4300 stack looks compelling, but the various reports of high temperature issues with the M4300-48X give me pause. Has there been any recent progress on this problem?

Message 21 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Various? Can just find this thread - the oddity with the 8X8F LED going amber with the intentionally allowed "fan-free" operations on lower temperatures was explained above.

Message 22 of 23
bzt
Tutor
Tutor

Mostly this thread and this amazon review:

"They run great, good throughput, working as expected, BUT, they run SUPER HOT. In a properly cooled computer room and equipment rack, if you put your hand on the bottom of the switch, you can almost not keep it there, it's burning hot. We've had 2 fail already, it will be very hard to convince me it's not from overheating."

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements