× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-48X - Where are BOOTP relay settings?

maindriver
Star

M4300-48X - Where are BOOTP relay settings?

We're replacing an old Allied Telesis core switch with a M4300-48X, this will be our primary core switch in the business.  I'm struggling to find the BOOTP relay settings.

From my understanding, this is in place to tell the devices on a specific VLAN which IP to use for their BOOTP/DHCP server.  On this current switch, we have some IPTV gateways and IPTV set top boxes that are defined in this section of the switch.

IE, anything on VLAN50 (IPTV) for example, BOOTP RELAY is set as 192.168.1.40 (the media esrver)

So I have a list of VLANs and their specific BOOTP RELAY

bootp relay=192.168.1.1 int=vlan3

bootp relay=192.168.1.1 int=vlan4

bootp relay=192.168.1.1 int=vlan5

bootp relay=192.168.1.1 int=vlan6

bootp relay=192.168.1.40 int=vlan50

bootp relay=192.168.1.1 int=vlan60

Currently looking through the GUI of the Netgear switch.

Model: XSM4348CS|M4300-48X - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x10GBASE-T
Message 1 of 2
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: M4300-48X - Where are BOOTP relay settings?

Hi

I primarily use our M4300's in CLI mode so I can't even tell you much about the GUI side 😉
Anyhow, have a look at the CLI reference guide. For 'ip helper enable' there is a note about bootp:

Use this command to enable relay of UDP packets. [...] This command replaces the bootpdhcprelay enable 
command, but affects not only relay of DHCP packets, but also relay of any other protocols for which
an IP helper address has been configured.

Since bootp and DHCP use the same ports, defining a DHCP helper should work? I haven't done ip helpers on the M4300 yet, but I guess that defining a ip helper address not on the physical port but on the VLAN interface could do the trick. (At least that's what I've done with other vendors)

Would be interesting to hear back from you if I was entirely wrong or at least pointing into the right direction.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements