× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300-52G-POE+ VLAN's within the stack

MarkHatton
Aspirant

M4300-52G-POE+ VLAN's within the stack

I have a netgear smart switch with working VLANs feeding WAP's.I have connected this (via fibre) to M4300-52G-POE+ stack of 3 switches and setup the VLANs in the stack on the first 2 ports of each stack member.The VLANs work (as intended) on the first switch in the stack but not on the other 2 switches.All stack members are running firmware version 12.0.4.8.It looks like the VLANs are not passed between the switches of the stack. Is this right ? Do I have to do anything else with the stacking ports to allow the passing of the additional VLANs.

I have tried to change the stack ports (ports 49,50) to be part of the VLAN with T membership but it changes them automatically back to U and still doesn't work as switch one in the stack.I could add more ports on switch one of the stack to accomodate the VLANs for the WAP's but this puts a large POE drain on one specific switch, I would prefere to spread this load and utilise the full functionality of the other switches.

Searched around on internet to find a solution but all examples cover VLAN's across seperate switches (which I have working) and not within the members of the stack.

Help and advice greatly appreciated on this one as I dont know if this is a bug or human error.

PS: No M4300-52G-POE+ model selectable so this is blanked by the form.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
MarkHatton
Aspirant

Re: M4300-52G-POE+ VLAN's within the stack

Didn't really find Netgear support very helpful, however I did spot the error during my explaination of the problem to them. 

The PVID of the port appears to important. Not sure if this is specific to Sonicwall devices. I had set the PVID to VLAN 40 on ports 1,2 on stack member 1, but not on stack members 2 and 3.

Thanks to all involved in trying to resolve this issue.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi MarkHatton,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were able to pass the traffic in the first switch. May you be able to check if the ports 49 and 50 are configured as stack and not ethernet? You may check it under System > Stacking > Advanced > Stack Port Configuration. We just need to make sure that the switch is on a stack. 

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
MarkHatton
Aspirant

Screen shot of output from request

Message 3 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@MarkHatton,

Have you tried to reboot / re-stack the switches? Please also make sure that WAPs are properly tagged in their respective VLANs.

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
MarkHatton
Aspirant

Hmmm

I thank you for trying to help, but If I can get the WAP devices working on the first switch in the stack this confirms the WAPs are configured properly.

I did however neglect to mention that I have rebooted these devices about 20 times, in various orders so the stack master changes across the stack but without any success in resolving this issue or change (other than the DHCP address assigned to the stack gets lost and I can no longer access the web interface). Still the primary stack member (1) with the GBIC ethernet feed has working Vlans, but the other stack members (2,3) do not work.

The probably next question would be, can you confirm the settings on the stack members are the same as stack member 1 (the VLan working member) and yes they are.

Message 5 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@MarkHatton,

It might be better if we can troubleshoot this over the phone or chat. I believe that your device is still under support warranty. I suggest you to open a chat / case online on NETGEAR support and please let them know what is going on with your switch so that we can fix this issue immediately.

Regards,

Message 6 of 8
MarkHatton
Aspirant

Yes these are literally a month to 2 months old.

Ok I'll raise a case with support

Message 7 of 8
MarkHatton
Aspirant

Didn't really find Netgear support very helpful, however I did spot the error during my explaination of the problem to them. 

The PVID of the port appears to important. Not sure if this is specific to Sonicwall devices. I had set the PVID to VLAN 40 on ports 1,2 on stack member 1, but not on stack members 2 and 3.

Thanks to all involved in trying to resolve this issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements