× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300-52G doesn't work as a simple hub

NoClue1234
Tutor

M4300-52G doesn't work as a simple hub

Hello!  I have a Netgear M4300 52G in for my experimental setup where I have:

- a few sensors chucking out data over ethernet

- the netgear switch

- a PC

Now if I take one particular sensor of interest and look at the data when I plug directly into the PC vs. through the switch I see a significant degradation in performance when going through the switch (5 x data reduction)

Curiously this does not happen if I use a cheap hub e.g. the free one you get from BT / sky / whoever.

So basically I want this M4300 to act like a cheap hub - how do I configure it to do this?  Think it's basically being too 'intelligent' for my use of it.

Any help gratefully received.

Model: GSM4352S|M4300-52G - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
NoClue1234
Tutor

Hi Laurent,

I checked the storm settings as you suggested and found one of them 'Broadcast Storm Control All' was enabled (not sure why this default enabled).  I disabled it and everything works.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers

Amy

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Correct link rates negotiated between the IoT and the switch and the management/test PC?

What protocol is used for the data?

Message 2 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

Thanks very much for the help!

We have tried adjusting the speed and that hasn't helped.  If that is what you meant?

Protocol is UDP.

Model: GSM4352S|M4300-52G - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Somewhat hard to imagine UDP packets "disappear" and get dropped by the switch at these high numbers - unless ports and switch would be reach an overload condition. 

Aside, scratch the term "hub" - these existed decades ago, these are replaced by switches nowadays. Very different technology.

Message 4 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

I am sorry about the hub thing and thanks for your help!

I took wireshark log of four different cases:

1 - sensor (velodyne HDL 64) plugged directly into my laptop

2 - sensor plugged into M4300 switch which was plugged into my laptop

3 - sensor plugged into a Netgear GS105E switch which was plugged into my laptop

4 - sensor plugged into a Netgear GS105E switch which was plugged into my M43000 switch which was plugged into my laptop

All logs were 5 seconds long.  The amount of data received in case 2 was about 20% of the other cases.  Upon analysis of the data it appears that the time between transmissions is varying quite a bit from the original sensor.  The laptop can handle this fine.  However, the M4300 switch is not able to work fast enough (it is in its default config).  However, when we route through the GS105E first it spaces out the packets so the time between transmission is more stable and can be handled by the M4300.

This is all hypothesese based on the data and very little knowledge of network switches though so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I cannot upload the logs or analysis because it only accepts images.

Any help on this gratefully received!

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

As this is a fully managed switch, I kindly request a moderator to move this thread accordingly. @LaurentMa  we need your assistance here - the way I suspect it this LiDAR device does send a huge amount of UDP packets (even it's "just" Fast Ethernet).

Message 6 of 13
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks, @schumaku 

Hi @NoClue1234 

I hope there is no Fast Ethernet negotiation issue. Kindly check the three GUI pages below and report if anything's wrong:

1. Port table: Go to Switching\Ports\Port Configuration

Do you see anything abnormal?

Ports.PNG

2. Port-counters: Go to Monitoring\Ports\Port Statistics

Anything?

counters.PNG

3. Storm protection: Go to Security\Traffic Control Storm Control Global Configuration

Also please check the Port Configuration just under it, please de-activate everything here and there?

storm.png

I hope this will help,

Regards

Message 7 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

I have checked everything you have asked and it all looks normal. This is a brand new out of the box switch. Have also tried another one to check it’s not hardware fault
Message 8 of 13
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you. Broadcast Storm control is disabled globally, and no storm protection of any sort on the physical interfaces either?

Message 9 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

Hi Laura - many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to check until Monday but pretty confident everything is just as is out of the box.  Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

Sorry I meant Laurent

Message 11 of 13
NoClue1234
Tutor

Hi Laurent,

I checked the storm settings as you suggested and found one of them 'Broadcast Storm Control All' was enabled (not sure why this default enabled).  I disabled it and everything works.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers

Amy

Message 12 of 13
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I'm glad it works now, thank you for checking this and letting the Community know!

Yes, Broadcast storm protection is enabled by default, in order to mitigate a typical device becoming mad and creating a storm. The level of threshold is configurable by the user, or the protection can be disabled. Again, the default threshold and associated protection (discarding packets) is good for most customers and help mitigate usual broadcast issues.

In your case, it turns out your specific "sensor" equipment is broadcasting quite a lot, so our default protection wasn't well adapted to your use case. I'm glad you checked it out and solved your issue.

This will be of good use for the rest of the Community. Thanks again.

Regards
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements