× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 Boot Freeze after FW upgrade

dialsc
Guide

M4300 Boot Freeze after FW upgrade

Hi

I just went through the firmware upgrade on a M4300-28G switch from version 12.0.9.3 to 12.0.11.8. After the reboot the switch was not comming up again. Re-powering the switch and watching on the terminal what happens I figured that the switch starts normal until it dumps this line to the terminal: Applying Interface configuration, please wait ...

Then it freezes and will not continue to boot.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Best

dialsc

Model: GSM4328S|M4300-28G - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
dialsc
Guide

Re: M4300 Boot Freeze after FW upgrade

Hello

I'm happy to announce that support just shared a new firmware version (12.0.11.10) with me which, after installation, works.

Thank you NETGEAR!

Best

dialsc

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dialsc ,

Welcome to NETGEAR community! Smiley Happy

I'm sorry about the Freeze on this M4300-28G.

Since this M4300 can not bootup normally now even powercycle.

Here is my suggestion to you for device recovery and troubleshooting(following screenshoot will help you on this)

1. Connect the Console port to M4300 and keep press "ESC" button when you see the key word "Freeing init memory"

2. Select “Active the backup image“ for workaround and then M4300 should bootup with backup image normally.

3. If system bootup successfully, export configuration file to local backup.

a) And also please export techsupport file and share to us for debugging.

b) If possible, please also send the full console log when this issue happened and M4300 can not bootup.

https://kb.netgear.com/31439/How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-commun...

After you success active backup image and system bootup.

1. Please do not upgrade this M4300 for now and try to share more information to us for debugging.

2. The techsupport file is useful for debugging and also topology of this M4300.

Our QA have also try to reproduce this probably issue but no lucky to see it.

M4300_console.png

Message 2 of 10
dialsc
Guide

Hi @DanielZhang 

Thank you very much for your detailed answer and your help. I already went through the "recovery" by activating the backup image which worked, the switch is up and running again with the older firmware.

As for the test with an "empty" config. I will try that later today.

Meanwhile if you'd like I can send over the running config to you. Maybe Netgear's QA is interessted in?

Best and thanks again

dialsc

Message 3 of 10
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dialsc ,

Good to heard your M4300 bootup with backup image.

Yes, NETGEAR QA team need the configuration file and also techsupport file for debugging.

If possible please send it to us for analysis.(following is guidance for techsupport sharing steps)

https://kb.netgear.com/31439/How-do-I-send-diagnostic-files-from-my-Managed-Switch-to-NETGEAR-commun...

BTW, if the upgrade is not necessary, please do not try to upgrade on this M4300 for now since we are not sure about this issue will happen again or not.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
dialsc
Guide

Hi @DanielZhang 

I did what you asked me to do and send all the data/files collected to the support mail address.

I hope it helps and if you need anything else please just ask/call/what ever... 😉

Kind regards

dialsc

Message 5 of 10
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @dialsc thanks for working with Netgear support with whom I've made good experience in the past. If you can afford the time, please keep us posted when there is news here.

This will help others to better estimate if they should also update their firmware or hold out for a next release. Maybe you learn that your issue is due to a very specific condition with your switch model or your config and that most other setup are not affected. I've once hit such a very bug which was difficult for Netgear to catch in their QA process since it was tied to a very specific combination of M4300 models in a stack. However Support was quickly able to reproduce it in their lab once they knew the exact models and had the tech-support files.

Looking forward to an update in that matter. 🙂

Message 6 of 10
DanielZhang
NETGEAR Expert

@dialsc  @msi 

NETGEAR team are under analysis about this abnormal behavior.

We will update here when get any update .

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
dialsc
Guide

Hi all

I can confirm that NETGEAR support has started working on this case. I'll also keep you posted once I/they know more.

Best

dialsc

Message 8 of 10
dialsc
Guide

Hello

I'm happy to announce that support just shared a new firmware version (12.0.11.10) with me which, after installation, works.

Thank you NETGEAR!

Best

dialsc

Message 9 of 10
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for keeping us posted, that's definitely good news! I'm looking forward to a regular release available in the downloads.

To add some context for other readers: It's quite likely that @dialsc got a beta or special build to test like I did in another instance. It usually takes some additional time between such a feature build (or whatever you want to call it) and a build posted to the downloads section.

Likely other included bugfixes need to be validated first, then it has to go through Netgear's internal QA. (At least that how it has been in previous cases of mine.)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements