× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 Remove Port MAC Address

tik0
Tutor

M4300 Remove Port MAC Address

I am using a M4300 switch as simple layer-2 switch in an enterprise infrastructure. I just use the 10GBit port as uplink to the infrastructure and some other 1GBit ports for my devices. Unfortunately, all ports on the switch have a MAC address (can be investigated in GUI via Switching->Ports->Port Description). This MAC is detected by the infrastructure as a security violation and thus, the uplink is blocked. Therefore, my devices can no longer access/authenticate to the infrastructure.

Is there a way to remove/change the MAC address from the M4300's ports, the possibility to use the switch as a native Layer-2 switch, or to suppress the MAC advertisement of the switch?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
tik0
Tutor

Re: M4300 Remove Port MAC Address

Thanks for the hint. I've discovered the packages via wireshark to see what is going on on the switch-port if I insert a cable. I saw periodically CDP frames (Cisco Discovery Protocoll) occurring, In fact, disable LLDP was not the cure.
I've disabled ISDP (Industry Standard Discovery Protocol), which let the periodically CDP frames disappear.
Now everything works as expected!

BTW: ISDP is not described in the manual?!?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @tik0

Netgear switches does not allow you to change the mac address on the ports. All the ports will always have the same mac (the switch mac addr). As you mention, this should be irrelevant if the switch is simply doing layer 2 forwarding.

The switches are set to advertise information via LLDP. You can and turn that off:
System > LLDP > Interface Configuration > Set "Transmit" and "Receive" to Disable on all ports (or at least the uplink port) and click "Apply".

However, this might not solve everything as this will not stop the switch from sending things like broadcast. For example, if you access the GUI of the switch from your PC --> the PC and switch will regularly update their ARP cache and that happens via broadcasts. This might trigger the security check in your infrastructure.

But, try the above to begin with. If you need the switch to be completely silent - there are ways. I am thinking some tinkering could be done with a MAC ACLs on the uplink. Anyway, let's first see how turning off LLDP advertisement goes.

Cheers!

Message 2 of 6
tik0
Tutor

Thanks for the hint. I've discovered the packages via wireshark to see what is going on on the switch-port if I insert a cable. I saw periodically CDP frames (Cisco Discovery Protocoll) occurring, In fact, disable LLDP was not the cure.
I've disabled ISDP (Industry Standard Discovery Protocol), which let the periodically CDP frames disappear.
Now everything works as expected!

BTW: ISDP is not described in the manual?!?

Message 3 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi again,

From where (what menu) did you disable the ISDP? Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
tik0
Tutor

System -> ISDP -> Global Configuration -> Admin Mode

: Change to "Disable"

Message 5 of 6
Hopchen
Prodigy

Thanks @tik0

You have a valid point here. I will bring this up internally. Cheers for the feedback!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements