× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 Stack question

jdarow32
Aspirant

M4300 Stack question

I have 2 m4300-48x stacked.  I am changing them to a new power system.  As a result, I will need to unplug the master.  I have verified via show startup-config that the config is saved on the master.  NSF is also enabled and shows as current.

When I unplug the master, it should automatically elect the member as the new master.  When that happens, do I have to manually save the running config to the startup config to assure that the new master has the config saved?

The plan is to unplug the master, plug it back into new power system, then do the same with the member.

My concern is that I previously had a power failure where a/b power both failed causing both switches to go offline.  When they came back, the config was gone despite being verified as saved via show startup-config.  Support suggested it could be corrupted nvram from the power outage.  It seems to be fine on the master (since the config is there), but is there a way to test whether it is written correctly on the member?

Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: M4300 Stack question

Hi @jdarow32 

Welcome to Community!

Below is the description about configuration backup mechanism between Stacking Master and Member unit.

For detailed info, you can refer to User Manual document, please click the Link .

Stacking.png

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ

Message 2 of 6
jdarow32
Aspirant

Yes it "runs" from that config (has it in the running config), but does it also automatically write it to nvram (saved config) when it becomes the master?
Message 3 of 6
jdarow32
Aspirant

Okay "retains a copy" implies writes to nvram. How do I verify that the copy is intact on an individual member? I'm concerned about nvram damage from the power outage.
Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @jdarow32 

Actually, after you save current configuration, then Switch will backup to all members automatically. Next time, when one member unit change to Master, it will keep same configuration. So if just one unit nvram damage, it not affect other units function.

Message 5 of 6
jdarow32
Aspirant

The stack only has 2 members. So if the master is powered off, the other member may not have a saved config of the memory is damaged on it. I 'm just trying to find a way to figure out if it is damaged without taking it out of production.

Thanks for your responses btw.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements