× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300 VLAN routing interface gets down with stack master

WojtekC
Guide

M4300 VLAN routing interface gets down with stack master

My simplified lab setup is two M4300-12X12F, stacked up. All ports, except stack ones, are set as follow:

interface x/x/x
switchport mode trunk
vlan acceptframe vlanonly
vlan ingressfilter
exit

There are couple VLAN's:

vlan database
vlan 2,3,4
vlan name 2 "V2"
...  and so on ...
vlan routing 1
vlan routing 3
exit

And finally ip address on vlan interface:

configure
interface vlan 3
routing
ip address 192.168.5.6 255.255.255.192
exit

When stack is powered up, everything works fine.

I can ping ip address in vlan 3, and even can reach management web interface, despite not using "ip management vlan ...".

My problem is:

When stack master is turned off, ip interface on vlan 3 goes down, and only way to bring it back is to restart whole stack (the one remaining switch or event booth in any order). Everything else works fine - packets are forwarded through all VLANS in layer2.

But inter-VLAN routing becomes completely unusable, and also VLAN management interface, if was set up.

Am I doing/understanding something wrong, or is it some kind software/hardware error?

Im using newest 12.0.7.15 firmware.

Model: XSM4324S|M4300-12X12F - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10G including 12x10GBASE-T and 12xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I've have some issues on a mixed stack of 1x M4300-12X12F (same as yours) and a M4300-52G-PoE+ with this firmware version where initiating a failover between master and standby master (configure; stack; initiate failover) would render a stack management inaccessible. Although not exactly the same thing, a manual failover or a power off event on the master leads to the same situation where the standby master will take over the stack master role.

Could you check that when you initiate a failover like me that the new master has some ports in DETACH state when you issue the 'show port status all' command? If you lose access over SSH, try the serial console, it remained working in my situation.

I'm currently working with Netgear on an issue with this specific version and testing a beta release after they have done some preliminary testing internally. I don't do any inter-VLAN routing on the M4300's so my use case is not entirely compareable to yours, additionnaly this only happened on that mixed stack but not on another stack with 2 M4300-52G-PoE+'s.

If you see the same behaviour load 12.0.7.10 into the other firmware bank and start it. In my case failover was still rather slow and causing some packet loss, but overall working. If things are similar I could send you my case number in private so you could point the Netgear support to potentially give you access to that release. (I am not permitted to do so by the beta agreement which I had to accept for this support case)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
WojtekC
Guide

When I've tried "reset" interface as follow:

configure
interface vlan 3
no ip address
exit
exit
vlan database
no vlan routing 3
vlan routing 3

got message:

../../../../andl/hapi/esw/switching/broad_l2_std.c 3095: In hapiBroadAddrMacAddressEntryAdd call to 'bcmx_l2_addr_add' - FAILED : -6

Despite message I'm going on with:

configure
interface vlan 3
ip address x.x.x.x /x

ending with interface set up properly, but still down.

Message 2 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

Errata:

Desoite -> Despite

proberly -> properly.

Sorry, I'll try remember use spellchecker button next time.

Message 3 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

Couple minutes after turning on former stack master:

Trying to attach more units.....
RPC - Timeout to CPU: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.
ATP: TX timeout, seq 7. xx:xx cli 778. to 1 tx cnt 21.
ATP: TX timeout, seq 122. xx:xx cli 780. to 1 tx cnt 21.
ATP: TX timeout, seq 59. xx:xx cli 8. to 1 tx cnt 21.
ATP: TX timeout, seq 8. xx:xx cli 778. to 1 tx cnt 21.
ATP: TX timeout, seq 124. xx:xx cli 780. to 1 tx cnt 21.
RPC - Timeout to CPU: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.
disc ERR:  Timeout occurred
l7_usl_bcmx_l3.c:369 : USL: error creating L3 interface for mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx vid 1: VrfId 0: hwRv=-8 dbRv = 0

L3 interface create failed because the MAC Address is already present.  Please try again later
l7_usl_bcmx_l3.c:369 : USL: error creating L3 interface for mac xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx vid 3: VrfId 0: hwRv=-8 dbRv = 0

L3 interface create failed because the MAC Address is already present.  Please try again later

Despite that message both units work fine in layer 2, as far as I can verify.

But VLAN 3 ip interface is still down (VLAN 1 also, but I not use it, so dont care).

Message 4 of 13
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I've have some issues on a mixed stack of 1x M4300-12X12F (same as yours) and a M4300-52G-PoE+ with this firmware version where initiating a failover between master and standby master (configure; stack; initiate failover) would render a stack management inaccessible. Although not exactly the same thing, a manual failover or a power off event on the master leads to the same situation where the standby master will take over the stack master role.

Could you check that when you initiate a failover like me that the new master has some ports in DETACH state when you issue the 'show port status all' command? If you lose access over SSH, try the serial console, it remained working in my situation.

I'm currently working with Netgear on an issue with this specific version and testing a beta release after they have done some preliminary testing internally. I don't do any inter-VLAN routing on the M4300's so my use case is not entirely compareable to yours, additionnaly this only happened on that mixed stack but not on another stack with 2 M4300-52G-PoE+'s.

If you see the same behaviour load 12.0.7.10 into the other firmware bank and start it. In my case failover was still rather slow and causing some packet loss, but overall working. If things are similar I could send you my case number in private so you could point the Netgear support to potentially give you access to that release. (I am not permitted to do so by the beta agreement which I had to accept for this support case)

Message 5 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

After powering off stack master (unit 1), all ports was fall into Detach link status, no matter connected or not.

After powering unit 1 back (is no longer stack mater of course), all ports on it was back to Up or Down status.

But on unit 2, now stack master, all ports are still in Detach link status, and still properly worked in layer2.

Message 6 of 13
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting. In my case losing the L2 connectivity to the switch was not always happening, like more after the second or third failover in my case. Could do a 'initiate failover' instead of powering down a switch? (to be closer to what happened to me, this could help Netgear support*) and then try the same on 12.0.7.10 to see if it doesn't happen on that release?

At that point I can't tell 100% if 12.0.7.12 is affected as well, but Netgear and I were both able to confirm that failover, albeit rather slow, would definitely work on 12.0.7.10 but does have issues in certain combinations on 12.0.7.15. The beta release I'm testing looks like it improves both failover stability and failover time overall, but I have only enabled it since a couple of days.

Message 7 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

I downgraded firmware to 12.0.7.10 as You suggested, and everything works fine.

No mater if i do "initiate failover" or powering off the switch, VLAN ip interface still works as expected, after couple failovers.

Thank You for help.

After going back to 12.0.7.15 and "initiate failover", everything is the same: port are still detached on management unit, and vlan ip is down.

Message 8 of 13
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Good to hear WojtekC - I couldn't have helped if I hadn't run into the very same issue 2 weeks ago.

For other readers: It seems to be a bug applying only in certain specific combinations of M4300 models stacked together and running 12.0.7.15, but not all are affected by this bug. If you are affected by this, downgrading to 12.0.7.10 seems to be a viable workaround as of writing.

I can say that I have been positively surprised by Netgear's L2 and L3 support while working with them on this issue and can tell that they have done a good job at analyzing and pinpointing and reproducing this particular issue. Based on that it looks like a matter of time when a next firmware release should be published, that includes a proper fix.

Message 9 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

I have different point of view about company. It seems that NETGEAR software is released without testing even basic functionality, and that not looks good. I wasted much time for this problem, and now afraid to use any more complex functionality.

I'll filled support ticket for that issue, so maybe i'll get better experience.

Message 10 of 13
msi
Luminary
Luminary

I guess it depends on what you compare it against. 🙂 Considering that Netgear gives lifetime warranty and chat support for nothing more than the initial price of the device: They were able to pinpoint the issue within 1.5 days and follow up with a workaround after 3 in my case.

To many vendors first want an expensive support contract before even talking to you or even lock access to software updates based on contracts for each and every device, topped by feature licenses to unlock when you require specific features. (There are worse companies, don't get me started on that topic) 😉

It is also a pretty specific issue and as I wrote: I have another stack where this does not happen at all. Based on that, it looks like this actually has slipped through in testing since there are a couple of models in the M4300 line but not all combinations might have been tested before shipping this firmware.

Message 11 of 13
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @WojtekC 

I am Laurent Masia, the Product Line Manager for M4300 series and while I want to thank you for reporting your issue, it is quite disappoiting to hear you talking about NETGEAR in these terms. I am inviting you to do some research on this Community forum about M4300 switches and I hope you will notice that the entire team, including PLM, Engineering and Tech Support do care about the quality of your products, our software and our service. Could you let everyone know the details about your Company, your Role in your organization, the activities of your Company? This way, you could let a chance to the other users to understand you better.

Back to your point, please be assured that any new maintenance release for M4300 series is thoroughly developed. Before any public release, we have deep Q.A. testing including regression testing to ensure none of the previous features got impacted by the changes made in our software. At NETGEAR, we strive to deliver best-in-class networking service with the M4300 series.

Now, interoperability issues on specific use cases in customers' environments are something, we, Networking Vendors, are working on all the time. If you read the release notes for any of our maintenance releases, we are addressing interoperability issues, this is how our products and our solutions get always better. In your case, I can confirm this is not a known bug at this stage. By logging a ticket at our Tech-Support organization, you will be asked to export a Tech-Support file out of your stack when the problem is visible (Maintenance/Export/HTTP File Export/  tech-support in the dropdown menu list) and send it to us. The file is containing all the logs, debugging commands and other parameters that will let us understand the root cause. This way, we will either modify your configuration if this is a misconfiguration, or work on a rapid Engineering build to fix your issue. If this Engineering build is fixing your issue, we will integrate these changes into our next maintenance release project, and again we will go through a complete Q.A. cycle to run regression tests before ultimately publishing a new maintenance release.

Logging many posts in a topic like yours on the Community isn't the fatest way for receiving Tech-Support from our L3 Tech-Support organization. This forum is a Community forum. As a M4300 customer, you are entitled to lifetime technical support. When such obvious issue, after posting once on the Community, it is wise to open a ticket at NETGEAR technical support.

Please be sure that we shall fix your issue asap. Thank you for your cooperation and thank you for using the NETGEAR M4300 switch series.

Regards, 

Message 12 of 13
WojtekC
Guide

I want to apologize all, who might be disappointed or even offended by my previous post.

I've done some research before buying these products (M4300-12X12F, and couple M4300-28G, M4300-28GPoE+). After research i came to conclusion that these are great products, high class at good price (best i can find), and greatest possible warranty. That's why I was very disappointed when found some errors in software, and write last post maybe too quickly.

I already filled support ticket and got quick answer (although basically the same as in forum). Hope that new firmware will be released soon (not too soon ;).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements