× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300 and M5300 stack firmware upgrade

superbeps
Tutor

M4300 and M5300 stack firmware upgrade

Hello, 

I'm setting up a new stack made of

- M4300 12x12F

- M4300 8x8F

- M4300-28G

I'm going to need the stack mainly for redundancy purposes (e.g. multi chassis LAGS).

Actually I've already updated all the devices to the latest firmware version but reading the docs I was wondering about the firmware update when the stack will be in production.

In fact it seems to me that in this case I will need to update one of the two images on all the stack members and than reboot all the members simultaneusly (and so causing service disruption!)

Is that true? There is a way to do a conservative stack upgrade?

I'm also going to  buy a M5300 stack, and I was wondering if it will have the same problem.

Thanks

Giuseppe

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@superbeps,

That's correct! We apologize but that is working as design. I may suggest you to upgrade the firmware after business hours. Just in case you still need assistance, please let us know. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi superbeps,

Once the firmware upgrade process has been started in a stack it will automatically reboot the switches for a while as it needs to re-elect the management and the stack members then boot up with the firmware installed. You can manually upgrade the switches one by one if you doesn't want to disrupt the whole stack. As per standalone firmware upgrade, it will not reboot the switch by itself as we can have 2 firmware images installed on the switch. Once you activate the new image to be active then that's the only time that it will require a reboot.

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
superbeps
Tutor

@JohnC_V wrote:

Hi superbeps,

Once the firmware upgrade process has been started in a stack it will automatically reboot the switches for a while as it needs to re-elect the management and the stack members then boot up with the firmware installed. You can manually upgrade the switches one by one if you doesn't want to disrupt the whole stack. As per standalone firmware upgrade, it will not reboot the switch by itself as we can have 2 firmware images installed on the switch. Once you activate the new image to be active then that's the only time that it will require a reboot.

Welcome to our community!

Regards,

Hi John, 

thank for the answer!

If I understand correctly even in the case of standalone upgrade after I have upgraded all the active images I need to reboot the whole stack at the same time otherwise I will have switches with incactivce state.

Is that right?

To be honest for this type of switch would be great to be able tu run a non disruptive upgrade, because I think that 90% of 8x8F and 12x12F customers are using a stack of two for redundancy as Top of the rack switch!

Thanks

Giuseppe

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@superbeps,

That's correct! We apologize but that is working as design. I may suggest you to upgrade the firmware after business hours. Just in case you still need assistance, please let us know. I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements