× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4300 gratuitous arp

igor_goienetxea
Aspirant

M4300 gratuitous arp

Hi,

I have a question about gratuitous arp,

We have a network of Netgear M4300 switches with:

- M4300-28G switches - Access (Version 12.7.10)

- M4300-96X - Core (Version 12.7.10)

The customer has connected a voip device to M4300-28G switches and it is necessary that the network supports gratuitous arp.

M4300 switches supports gratuitous arp?

If yes, is it by default or is it necessary to configure it?

Thank you very much in advance.

Model: GSM4328S|M4300-28G - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x1G and 4x10G including 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: M4300 gratuitous arp

Hi @igor_goienetxea 

No, Gratuitous ARP isn't a supported feature in M4300 switches.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
igor_goienetxea
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your answer LaurentMa!!!

I´ve some doubt about it:

- I´ve seen in this command in the documentation:  ip unnumbered gratuitous-arp accept  ¿Is it only for L3?

- what is it for? An example of implementation?

Regards

Message 3 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Please consult the CLI admin guide from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/m4300.aspx#docs

Direct link to the guide: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/M4300/M4300-M4300-96X_CLI_EN.pdf 

The M4300 have minimum commands for querying IP address conflicts, and for handling incoming Gratuitous ARP messages this way:

Page 276:

ip address-conflict-detect run
This command triggers the switch to run active address conflict detection by sending gratuitous ARP packets for IPv4 addresses on the switch.

show ip address-conflict
This command displays the status information corresponding to the last detected address conflict.

clear ip address-conflict-detect
This command clears the detected address conflict status information.

Page 641:

ip unnumbered gratuitous-arp accept
This command enables the switch to automatically configure static interface routes to an unnumbered peer when the switch dynamically receives gratuitous ARP messages. The switch uses the IP address of the loopback interface (see the ip unnumbered loopback command) as the IP address for the unnumbered peer. This behavior is enabled by default.

no ip unnumbered gratuitous-arp accept
This command prevents the switch from automatically configuring static interface routes to an unnumbered peer when the switch dynamically receives gratuitous ARP messages.

Hope this helps,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements