× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300 multicast issues

jdarow32
Aspirant

M4300 multicast issues

I have 2 m4300-48x switches stacked.  3 servers each have 2 nics connected to 1 port on each of the stacked switches.  The 2 ports are in an LACP lag.  Lags are up, ports are up.  All multicast settings are default.  Same settings work on another switch not stacked that only has single connections to servers.  All servers share a vlan.  Not sure why the multicast works on one switch, but not the stacked switches with the ports in lag.

Model: XSM4348CS|M4300-48X - Stackable Managed Switch with 48x10GBASE-T
Message 1 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @jdarow32 

The stack works as a single switch, so the situation shouldn't be different between a single switch, and a stack of two switches.

This must a configuration issue. First, you should attempt to make it work on a single switch, with a 2-port LAG from one of your servers, and with the same VLAN. The IGMP default configuration is only on VLAN 1 so please make sure to configure your others VLANs the same way for IGMP Snooping/Querier/Fast Leave (you can look at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-sw...).

There may be an issue with the 2-port LAG on your servers, if the LAG kind of mismatches with the single switch in the first place. Hashing algorithm should match between the server NICs and the M4300 LAG. It's always better to use L2+L3+L4 hashing on both servers (NIC teaming configuration) and the switches (M4300 LAG configuration).

Second, when it is working on a single switch, we should replicate it across two switches in a stack. There should be no difference at all, provided you have enough bandwidth in between two switches to let your multicast flow.

I'm sure the Community will continue to help you, but it would be great if you could retest accordingly.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
jdarow32
Aspirant

OSPF multicast works with the current config, but other multicast is being blocked.  Same result on a single switch with one ethernet connection or 2 in a lag on one switch.  Same with enabling and disabling snooping on vlan with single link or lag. The fact that it is still being blocked without a lag and on only one switch makes me believe it isn't a hashing issue.  The switches are stacked with 2 10g ethernet ports and the multicast traffic is very minimal, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Message 3 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @jdarow32 

Thank you, OK you are at Layer 3 for Multicast so definitely sounds like a configuration issue, as PIM still needs to rely on IGMP somehow and there is conflict with other Layer 2 settings most likely.

It's going to be too fastidious in such Community forum to ask questions, back and forth. Better to ask you for your Tech-Support file from your stack when you see the problem occuring. To export the Tech-Support file, you can use the Web GUI and go to Maintenance / Export / HTTP File Export / and select Tech-Support in the dropdown menu. Please send me your contact details by Private Message here, I'll give you my email address and from there you will be able to send me your Tech-Support file and I'll open a case for you.

When your issue will be fixed, we'll sure update the thread here, and if possible describe your use case and indicate the needed config for it.

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

@jdarow32 just confirmed the issue was resolved, in fact it was coming from the servers outside. We can consider this issue closed, many thanks. Please keep the feedback coming!

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements