× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: M4300

Nick_honeywell
Aspirant

M4300

Hi All,

I currently have a set up as follows

Vlan 10 - 200.0.10.1

Vlan 20 - 200.0.20.1

Vlan 30 - 200.0.30.1

Vlan 40 - 200.0.40.1

Vlan 100 - 200.0.100.1

Vlan 250 - 200.0.250.1

Internet Router 200.0.100.254

We have the vlans setup and all devices are talking through various vlans but i am unable to acquire internet connection to 200.0.100.254 i have added a default gateway as 200.0.100.254.

I am able to ping 200.0.100.254 and 8.8.8.8 directly via the switch but none of the devices.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

Message 1 of 5
jmozdzen
Tutor

Hi Nick,

do you have routing interfaces in the various (non-200.0.100.0) VLANs? It's unclear if you just correlated VLANs and subnets design-wise. Also, current assumption will be that those subnets are /24 - is that correct?

Also, "all devices are talking through various vlans" seems to contradict "I am able to ping 200.0.100.254 and 8.8.8.8 directly via the switch but none of the devices". Or did you mean that inside each VLAN, the devices can ping other IPPs of that subnet, but not those from different subnets/VLANs?

VLANs typically are like separate switches - if looking at the IP level, you'll need a router to inter-connect them. And that's even more true when running different subnets, those will always need a router to interconnect (even for subnets on the same broadcast domain, AKA "(V)LAN")...

With regards.

Jens

Message 2 of 5
Nick_honeywell
Aspirant

Hi Jens,

Thank you for your reply.

We do have routing within the switch through the various vlans etc so vlan 10 devices can talk to vlan 20 devices etc. This is done through the switch and not a router.

We are currently running all /24 subnets

The issue i am having is not the inter vlans connections but getting the devices to route to the gateway 200.0.100.254 i will attach my current config of the switch which will hopefully flag an issue with my config.

Thank you very much,

Nick

Message 3 of 5
jmozdzen
Tutor

Hi Nick,

shot into to dark: does your Internet gateway know where to route packets in the direction of your VLANs? You'll likely have to add static routes for the subnets not local to your Internet gateway, all pointing to the routing interface 200.0.100.250.

> This is done through the switch and not a router

sorry for my old-school use of words: To me, the M4300 is (as configured by you) both a switch (for layer2 traffic) and an IP router. Whereas your external Internet gateway may be "just a router", or firewall, or whatever. To me, any IP node connected to more than one IP subnet and routing traffic between them is (in some cases "also") a router 😉

Regards,

Jens

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@jmozdzen wrote:

shot into to dark: does your Internet gateway know where to route packets in the direction of your VLANs? You'll likely have to add static routes for the subnets not local to your Internet gateway, all pointing to the routing interface 200.0.100.250.

Yes Jens! The router will only send packets to the LAN interface for the attached subnetwork, any other packets will be directed to the default gageway, and that's the Internet then. 

Consider adding a policy route for the other VLAN subnetworks to the router LAN interface, or a static route to the switch attached LAN IP.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements