× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M4500-48XF8C Factory Reset w/o Password

twalt123
Tutor

M4500-48XF8C Factory Reset w/o Password

Hello,

I am trying to factory reset my M4500-48XF8C switch to prepare for a new firmware update but I do not have the password, and cannot seem to find a way to do that without the password to login, which has been lost to time. Is there a way to accomplish this? I have the new firmware, but I don't know which version I am currently running so I don't know whether or not I have to update to the intermediate version before the most recent version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
twalt123
Tutor

Re: M4500-48XF8C Factory Reset w/o Password

For anyone having this problem in the future who doesn't have experience with ONIE follow these steps.

1. Reboot the switch and when you see the GRUB menu select "ONIE"
  2. Select "Uninstall NOS"
  3. Wait for it to clear all the hard drives in the switch
  4. When the switch reboots select "Install NOS" with the proper image on the root of a USB drive in the switch. The image needs to be renamed "onie-installer". I found I could only install the image named "onie-installer-x86_64-netgear_m4500-48xf8c_dnv-7.0.1.6" as it is the unsigned intermediate image and then I could update to the latest image.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@twalt123,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

You can factory reset the M4500-48XF8C via the CLI.  If it is the first time you are going to access the switch CLI, the default user name is admin and no default password is required then just press the Enter button.  Be informed that when you log in for the first time, the switch CLI prompts you to change the switch CLI password.  Then, in Privileged Exec mode, enter the command clear config to reset the configurations made to the switch.

Also, kindly try the steps on the KB article here for password recovery.

Hope it helps ! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
twalt123
Tutor

@DaneA, thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I don't have the password and it has been changed from the defaults so I will need to do some kind of password recovery. I was unable to follow the instructions in the link you posted as I never saw the "Checking for application" line as the instructions suggested and so wasn't able to enter the recovery mode. Would reinstalling the QNOS from within the ONIE bootloader factory reset the configuration and allow me to set a new password? If so, are there instructions on how to perform that installation?

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 4
twalt123
Tutor

For anyone having this problem in the future who doesn't have experience with ONIE follow these steps.

1. Reboot the switch and when you see the GRUB menu select "ONIE"
  2. Select "Uninstall NOS"
  3. Wait for it to clear all the hard drives in the switch
  4. When the switch reboots select "Install NOS" with the proper image on the root of a USB drive in the switch. The image needs to be renamed "onie-installer". I found I could only install the image named "onie-installer-x86_64-netgear_m4500-48xf8c_dnv-7.0.1.6" as it is the unsigned intermediate image and then I could update to the latest image.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements