× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

M5300 loses management when connected to M7100

bbeachy2001
Aspirant

M5300 loses management when connected to M7100

I have two layer 2 loops consisting of a pair of M7100's and a M5300 in each loop.  I have MST configured on both loops, but I don't think that is the problem.  One of the loops works fine, but on the second loop, when I connect the final leg, I immediately lose connection to the M5300 switch over the network, even though the vlan on the port going back to the rest of my network is NOT a member of the trunk that I am connecting to make the loop.  Does that make any sense?  Both of the M7100's still work fine, and I can access them, and when I look in LDP on them, I can see the M5300.  I just can't access it anymore.

Model: M5300-28G (GSM7228S)|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit L2+ Managed Stackable Switch, M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSAFE 24-port 10G Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: M5300 loses management when connected to M7100

Hi bbeachy2001,

Welcome to Netgear Community!

We need more detailed information to analysis this problem. Could you please provide more info as below?

1. Simple topo. How to connect 3 Switches, just 2 loops? how to connect to manage port for each switch?

2. Configuraiton for each switch. All ports in 2 loops are in same VLAN or different VLAN? Enable STP or MSTP?

Regards

Ericz

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 4
bbeachy2001
Aspirant

Below is a simple map that shows the first group of switches.  The switches are at different locations, and the connections shown are 10GB fiber links.  The second loop is identical, including the names, except the switch names all end with -2.  The two loops are completely seperate.  Port 1 on each switch is connected to my regular network, and is on a VLAN that is NOT a member of the trunk links running through the fiber.  I have multiple VLANs that are running around the loop, just not the management port.  I have enabled MSTP.  The -2 loop is running fine, and I thought the configs were the same. Here is a dropbox link where you can get the configs for all 6 switches:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4313415/10Gig.zip

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi bbeachy2001,

For the loop1, I compare configuration for three switches. Management VLAN is different, for M5300 it's VLAN1, for other 2 M7100 it's VLAN254. The problem is M5300 Management IP is unreachable and other 2 M7100 Management IP is OK, right?

First, I'am afraid that you may not setting spanning-tree to MSTP mode on 2 M7100 switches, as there is no 'spanning-tree mode mst' config on the configuration files you send to me. So please set this configuration, then check again. 

Second, could you dobule check the MSTP port status for MST instance 1/2 on all three switches? You can do this with CLI command 'show spanning-tree mst port summary 1/2 active' via console port. One port should be discarding in the loop. 

Hope it helps!

Regards

Ericz

Netgear Employee

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements