× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC issue with virtualization failover

bbeavis
Follower

MAC issue with virtualization failover

We have an issue that seems to be located in our Netgear switch.  When we migrate/failover a VM from one Cluster to another, the MAC remains the same.  This seems to cause the Netgear to not route traffic to other subnets within the Cluster.  We do not have port security enabled.  It appears as if the MAC is somehow blocked, assuming because it is coming from a new port.  This "blocking" will continue for days, not 300 seconds as defined in some of the timeouts.

If we generate a new MAC, all is well.  The "blocking" only happens between vLAN/subnets within the Cluster.  The virtualization Cluster is Nutanix, for all purposes a fork of KVM.

I have tried clearing arp cache.  I did not see a way to clear learned MAC entries from the switch menu, but did change the timeout from 300 seconds to 120 seconds.  The are no MAC filters.  port security mode is disabled.  

Any suggestions on where to look?  I've been told to look for MAC sticky settings.

Model: XSM4324S|M4300-12X12F - Stackable Managed Switch with 24x10G including 12x10GBASE-T and 12xSFP+ Layer 3
Message 1 of 2
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: MAC issue with virtualization failover

Hi bbeavis,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I inquired this issue in our higher tier. I'll let you know once I got feedback.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements