× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MSTP compatibility between XS728t and S3300 switches

jml985
Aspirant

MSTP compatibility between XS728t and S3300 switches

I'm having trouble getting MSTP to work between XS728T and S3300 switches.  The MSTP works fine between the same classes of switches.    I'm worried that that problem is the incompatibility in the calculation of the digest hashes.  There are a lot of odd differences between the switches despite similar interfaces:

* The S3300 switches have a vlan (4089 Auto-Video) which I can't remove.  

* The MST configuration for the S3300 shows the MSTID=0 entry explicitly, whereas the XS728T do not show the MSTID=0 entry and it cannot be created.

* However, in the CST configuration I can see the MST ID / VID / FID mapping explicitly and I can make them exactly the same (by adding the 4089 vlan) except the S3300 only shows the actually defined MSTs, whereas the XS728T shows all 15, with empty VID/FID values.

* The S3300 shows the configuration digest key on the stp configuration page, and when it matches other S3300's the MSTP configuration seems to work, but I can not find the key on the XS728Ts.    I also can not get MSTP configurations to see the domain through the switch types.

I did update the firmware on all switches to the most modern versions.  The S3300 run version 6.6.4.28.   The XS728T run version 6.5.1.65

Specific questions:   

1.  Is there any way to see the digest key for the XS728T switches to see if this is the problem?

2.  Is there known incompatibility between netgear switches MSTP implementations, and if so are there any work arounds?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
jml985
Aspirant

Re: MSTP compatibility between XS728t and S3300 switches

I did eventually configure these to work.  The key was to make each vlan in one and only one MST.  This is not the documented requirement of MSTP.   However, when the 4089 vlan was left in the default MST or when it was doubled up in one of the other active MST's the XS728T and S3300 did not exist in the same domain even though they did have domains within the same switch regions.   When I made three MSTs each with a single vlan the domain spread to include all switches.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
jml985
Aspirant

Re: MSTP compatibility between XS728t and S3300 switches

I did eventually configure these to work.  The key was to make each vlan in one and only one MST.  This is not the documented requirement of MSTP.   However, when the 4089 vlan was left in the default MST or when it was doubled up in one of the other active MST's the XS728T and S3300 did not exist in the same domain even though they did have domains within the same switch regions.   When I made three MSTs each with a single vlan the domain spread to include all switches.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements